Used Bourbon barrels

pogriallais

Hi guys any ideas who could supply me with ex-bourbon 53 gallon barrels? What would the difference in cost be between new barrels and used barrels. If you have experience in this area, an average cost would be good- I realise it depends on several factors. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your response Jarhead. At the moment I'm putting together my business plan so just trying to work out every cost. Many of the Scottish and Irish distillers dismantle the ex-bourbon barrels before shipping and re-assemble them at their final destination, would it be prohibitively expensive to ship whole barrels to Ireland?

This is a little old, but a couple of years ago the Barton Distillery in Bardstown, KY was selling used for $90 FOB their dock. That's probably a reasonable placeholder for your plan. I've seen new going for $120 - $165 FOB Cooperage.

Not sure where you are located, but I recently got some Maker's barrels from Rock Mountain Barrel Company. Good guys to work with. Can't say that about all the barrel people I've dealt with.

http://rockymountainbarrelcompany.com/brewers/

new ones are about 150 each plus shipping. I have 4 Jim Beam barrels that i'm not going to use. i'll let them go for $250 on a pallet and ready to pickup. FOB Port Chester, 10573

Where do you get new barrells for $150 each plus shipping? Can you give me that information? I could use about 4 barrells...

Mike,

Most of these guys are getting their big 53 gallon barrels here http://www.iscbarrel...ls Independent Stave has a plant in Missouri where they will allow you to buy one at a time if you like.

Rick

Hey Rick first let me thank you for that info on independant staves this has got to be the cat's meow ive been buying barrels from Jerry DeLorenzo for the past 25 years and after i looked at the price that they are quoting me for hybrid barrels i feel like ive been overpaying for the wine barrels. Either that or whiskey barrels have to be a lot cheaper for whatever reason. I bought some barrels from another cooper, and the first one i got was beautiful so i turned around and bought 4 more and they left a LOT to be desired but i will definantly give my buddy Jerry a call. I figure if youre happy with what you are getting i should be happier too. Thanks.

Obviously, there's a price difference between buying one and buying 100,000, but the big guys pay about $120 each for new barrels and get about $80 each for used ones. Kelvin in Louisville is probably the biggest seller of used barrels, ISC is the biggest maker of new barrels. If you need a few new and a few used, Kelvin is a good source because they do make a small number of new barrels. They refurbish barrels and break them down for shipping overseas. They're expensive to ship in any form and I know a lot of people just take their truck and pick them up. Kelvin's an amazing place. They probably have over a million used barrels in inventory. It's quite a sight.