Help CFR, AG and sugar

John D

Ok stepping out. I have done AG mash BUT at times added some type sugar to boost ETOH. Reading the regs 5.22

"(B) Class 2; whisky. “Whisky” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed." This last statement is what is getting me 'and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed' so could this be a sugar added mash 80% corn 20%sugar, or does it have to be cane juice.

I have several old time recipes that have some type of sugar added, cane, bagged, honey and others. Would these have to be done as a formula 5.27 and do you have to call them Moonshine corn whiskey since 80% is corn. What if your formula does not have 80% corn then do you have to call it moonshine or can you #$%#$^$^.

Crap what is moonshine to the TTB. what are formulas that don't fall under whiskey rum gin vodka. i got smoke coming out my ears.

I really would like to try some of these as i know they are good But how do you classify them. I really have been reading but just can't get it.

​Sorry if none of this makes scene.

No I do not distill but I can cook and make some one bottle beer.

Well you somewhat answered your question without realizing it:

-Class 2; whisky. “Whisky” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers.

-Look at "corn whisk(e)y" as simply a subgenre of "whisky." It is simply a type of whisky that needs to be at least 80% corn, the other 20% still needs to be grain, but what type of grain is up to you. If you want to make a product that is classified as a "distilled spirits specialty," than you must submit a formula and the feds will tell you what you can call it. If you are going to use BOTH grain and sugar, than your product is a "distilled spirits specialty" and you need to submit a formula. In all likelihood, the feds will respond with you having to call your product "spirits distilled from X % grain & Y % cane sugar/sugarcane." There is no legal term for moonshine, that would be considered a part of your fanciful name.

When in doubt, submit a formula. Because, when you DO NOT submit a formula, YOU are formulation and it is EXPECTED that what you submit on your label is correct as the standard for identity for that product. For example, if you call a product a "whisky" or a "corn whisky," and your product has any part of a cane sugar or sugarcane product in it, than you are erroneously labeling that product and you could, in theory, have it pulled from the shelf and/or end up spending thousands of dollars in redoing labels/explaining to the feds on why you screwed up. Fun fun.

WOW

Thanks that is what I needed to clear the smoke.

Really.

Thanks much

John