iStill 250: automated plug & play micro distillery

iStill 250

The iStill 250 is a fully automated, electrically heated fractionating column with pot still and water distillation functionallity. The boiler has a gross capacity of 280 litres and can hold up to 250 litres of wash, low wines or water. The iStill 250 is the perfect set up for micro distilleries.

For more info, please see or read:

www.iStill.eu

PS: I send the moderator a message on my proposed advertisement, but didn't get an answer back. Hope this is okay. If not, please let me know.

Odin on the iStill 250 (2).pdf

• 2 weeks later...

... also available with 500 and 1,000 liter boilers as iStill 500 and iStill 1000. Directly heated (electrically) or "au bain Marie".

The world class column packing (Spiral Prismatic Packing / SS Rashig rings combo) with an HETP < 3 centimeters can be ordered separately.

2 and 3 inch columns: iStill SPP (made according to the Medelev Institute's parameters)

4 inch columns: iStill SPP/RR combo

> 5 inch: SS Rashig Rings only

Due to high demand waiting time is about 2 months. We are stepping up production as we speak in order to shorten that.

For more information, please see: www.iStill.eu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Vintage Cocktail! So far we have been pretty much a European enterprise! We are just starting to investigate markets abroad since we feel we have a few things to offer. Our sales of SPP packing are souring all over the world. In the US as well. Our smaller unit, the iStill 50 is currently being sold world wide as well. First units being shipped of to the US as we speak. Bigger 250 (500, 1,000) liter units run in Europe exclusively.

So, apart from consultancy business, there are no US referals I can give you. And, looking at your post, I would say you are interested in our distillation equipment and not in our consultancy practice.

You (and others interested) are invited to fly over and have a day in our showroom with the iStill you are interested in. Normal practice would be that I make a mash ready to go, a potential client comes over and will get picked up at Amsterdam Airport and driven to our showroom. From there on, the iStill 250 (just to take an example) is pretty much yours to run.

We will ask you what you want to make out of the mash (like vodka, whiskey, gin), and we will help you dial in the parameters. The still will heat up, fores will be taken, stabilization will take place, etc., etc. You will probably be running the rig for anything from 4 to 8 hours, getting the feel of how it is to run an automated distillery. And during this process, we will answer your questions, give you advice, discuss your business plans (if that is what you want).

Now, you might think: "Fly to Holland? Is this guy crazy?" But I am not. Just look into our product specifications. And look into our prices. Flying over here and having fun for a day together will pay you off big time. That's a promise you can remind me of.

I must warn you though, with a blink of the eye. If you get over and once you try an iStill, you will be sort of left without any other option. Once you run one of our automated rigs, it is very, very hard to go back and start up (or just envision starting up) that good old pot still you might have.

Sounds like a good sales pitch, right? Only it isn't. It is what happened a few times already. Just sharing, so you can make up your mind.

About three weeks ago two distillers wanted to do a run in our showroom. We spend 4 hours together, distilling a vodka. Both of them ordered an iStill the next week.

A gentleman from India flew over. He originally had set his eyes on buying a Spanish all copper alambic still as a stripper and a Chinese made bubble cap column for the spirit run. Total estimated investment of close to USD 60,000.- just for the distillation equipment. He ended up buying an iStill 500 water bath distiller. Total investment went down to under USD 11,000.-, flight to Holland and stay over here included.

Just sharing.

If you are interested in advanced automated distilling, please let me know. It pays of big time.

Regards, Edwin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

We just had the most fantastic meeting with the iStill team last weekend. The aim we had, was to think about innovations to further develop our iStill products. A bit over one month ago we set the parameters for the meeting. We asked the members of our team to think of innovations that would help our clients and would be a tribute to our pay-off or goal: "iStill - distilling made easy". The proposed innovations or proposals for innovations had to be:

1. Easy to develop and implement;

2. Fit on the current structural lay-out of the iStill models, since we want all clients to be able to buy new features without having to change anything to the structural lay out. For instance: a new design for the column cooler would only be allowed if it were better and/or cheaper AND if it would fit on the columns as they are right now.

Well, last weekend, away from the shop, I got some design proposals that really rocked my boat. The things we will take into production, I will share with you:

1. Touch screen computer. We will replace our current computer (see picture below) with a new touch screen design. Bigger screen, more graphics, touch screen. It will enable us to represent what's going on inside the iStill in a graphic way. And it will allow our customers to put information on their company, the product they are making, etc. Since the first demonstration was very promising, we decided to further develop this and bring it to production by the end of 2013. Existing clients can (if they want), send back the "old" computers and upgrade to the new touch screen. They only pay the price difference between the two.

2. SD cart. The new computer will have an SD cart for extra memory storage. This way tracks of previous runs can be stored and/or evaluated. We plan to release this together with the new touch screen computer.

3. GSM/Cell Phone module. With this module, the iStill will send a message to your cell phone, informing you about what's going on. Messages about the fact that stabilization is done, or that the run is finished. Off course, safety issues will also be texted to your phone. Think "failing cooling water" or "column flooding detected". Not things that would happen normally, but if we have the option to communicate remotely, we will add them just to be sure. We expect to launch this module in 2013, together with the introduction of the new touch screen.

4. iStill App. The next step will be that we will build an Android and iPhone/iPad app. The app will inform you directly about what's happening in the distillation process. It will give a full representation of what you see on the touch screen. That way, even when you are meeting with a customer while distilling, you can see exactly what's going on with you still.

I think those additions will enable us to make distilling easier for our clients.

The biggest surprise I got was from our Head of Product Development (who else?). It isn't completely done yet, so I had to promise him not to disclose it. But it will be ready in about two weeks time. I will share it when I can.

Some more information that might be interesting. Last weekend our programmer presented the new program for optimal Fores & Heads collection. Fores were already taken automatically, but now we upgraded to fully automated heads disposal (or collection, just what you want) as well. Of course, we couldn't just sit there and have our programmer tell us it is ready. No, we got up, uploaded the program to the iStill 250 and had a run, testing the new automation. It worked beyond my expectations. Heads can be drawn of beautifully. We use the temp gradient that stacking lower boiling point alcohols have to optimize the programming. Like this: after stabilization the iStill draws off at a slow speed until the temperature at the take off point stops rising or when pressure recalculated azeotropic temperatures are reached. Well, it is actually a shitload more complicated than that, but that's the concise.

Apart from automated heads removal, we also added prolongued stabilization times. A fully charged iStill 250 will need only about 45 minutes of column stabilization, but for those among us that want to stabilize longer, now they can. I know some of our Scandinavian clients like that.

The new programming allows for just fores disposal or for fores & heads disposal. Stabilization times can be dialed in from anything like 10 minutes to two hours.

The new automation has been uploaded to the computers of some of our clients this weekend already. Others will follow in one or two weeks time. I am curious to get their feedback.

More information. It is a bit far from most of you, but know you are welcome. On September 14th we organize the first iStill Distillers Event. In Holland, close to Amsterdam. Clients, people interested in iStill, people interested in distilling and/or brewing are welcome to join us. The program is not ready yet, but we expect to do some workshops on Eau de Vie making, on making Dutch Whiskey (maltwine - the base for genever/Dutch gin), etc. And we will be launching some iStill innovations. Lunch, BBQ, sharing drinks ... it will be a great gathering of people with the same mindset, I am sure.

Okay, long post, but this is it. Well, for now. To be continued!

Regards, Edwin.

PS: How can I upload pictures?

Here's the first introduction iStill movie. I expect we will upload another in just a few days. We plan to release one about the general lay-out of the iStill, one on the menu (what can you dial in), and one on a distillation run.

http://wp.me/3pXcR

Regards, Edwin.

Here's another movie. It deals with the technical layout of the iStill 50. Since - apart from size and power - the iStill 50 and 250 are pretty similar, I think it might be interesting to take a look at it. Well, if you are interested in the iStill 50 and/or iStill 250. It is a pretty long movie, but I hope you like it or at least think it is interesting.

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-8b

Regards, Edwin.

More information on how the iStill 250 works! Here's a movie on how the menu works. What settings can you dial in? How do you set-up your iStill prior to your first run? All the info - and more - can be found in this movie:

http://www.istill.eu/#!istill-tv/co30

Regards, Edwin.

• 2 weeks later...

Movie of an actual run on an iStill 50. Not edited, bobbing and weaving camera. My son told me it's no good, but I decided to post it anyhow. Just so people can have a view on what it is like torun an iStill.

Regards, Odin.

• 1 month later...

More developments for the iStill 250? You bet! We are currently developing a new catalyst for even more sulfur control. Made out of glass, filled with copper mesh. And if you want t make a vapour infused gin? Just take out that copper mesh and put in the herbs! More info and pictures in about two weeks time.

We just added new programming to further improve our automated pot distillation runs. Lower end temperatures can now be chosen and column stabilization can be set at anything from 0 minutes. Advantages? Automated hearts to tails cut. And immediate tails recovery after that.

We have just developed a new copper catalyst that can serve as a gin head for vapour infusion as well. What's new? Well, first of all this one is made out of glass, which is very pretty. The second innovation is that we added an easy lifting system. That way you can take out the catalyst or refill the gin head without having to take off the column.

The easy lifting system works with wingnuts. Just a few turns upward, and you can replace the catalyst/gin head!

Here's a link with more information:

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-bf

http://istillblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/new-catalyst-and-gin-head-easy-lifting-system/

For clients running an iStill or people interested to learn more about how the iStill works, here is a link to menu settings and program choices you can use to make a great Raisin Brandy. We feel confident this distillation approach will work on any wine that's being distilled. With some adaptations we want to test out next week, it may be suited for pot distilled whiskey as well. I will share our proposed settings on whiskey making later. Here's a great procedure for brandy:

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-bP

• 3 weeks later...

Power management

From now on our units are equiped with power management. This allows you to manually override the normal power input while pot distilling. The iStill 250 heats up with 18 KW and runs with 9 KW. With our new power manager, you can dial in anything between 6 and 9 KW in steps as small as 0.1 KW. The lower power input can be helpful. Especially when distilling low abv washes. The iStill 50 and 50 h2o and VISION models heat up with 4 KW. During the run it uses 2 KW. With the new power manager you can dial in anything between 1.5 and 2.5 KW. Again in steps of 0.1 KW.

Whiskey of Vodka?

Just answering some questions we often get. Is the iStill 250 for vodka or for whiskey making? Well, it can do both. There is a program for pure distillation, where you get 95%+ all the time. And there is a potstill program that gives you approximately 2 plates. It will take an 8% wash to 60% in one go. So the iStill can make both: whiskey and vodka. And brandy and rum and gin, by the way. One rig does it all.

To strip or not to strip?

That's the question. With an iStill 250 you can strip, but you don't have to. Pure as wel as Pot mode take your wash to ageing/drinking strengths in one go.

Can't you get us bigger boilers?

Yes we can, but shipping costs are a killer. And why would you need a bigger boiler, when you can run multiple iStills at the same time? Just as the French Cognac distilleries do, only easier. Easier? Yes. The automation means you set up your iStills once and they will do the rest of the run automatically.

Here's a link with more information on our new Power Management Module:

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-cI

We "upped" specifications even more. Not only can you manually dial in lower energy inputs, you can also put more power in. Up to 12 KW in potsill mode, for ultra fast stripping ...

The new Power Management Module is a standard feature on the iStill 250 from this moment on. And if you order an iStill 250 before the end of this year, you won't have to pay the additional EUR 250.- it costs. This means you can buy the iStill 250 with the new Power Management Module for EUR 4,995.- ( USD 6,745.-) until January first. After that the price will be EUR 5,245.- (USD 7,085.-)

An invitation

Since we are about to launch our tablet managed iStills soon, we feel we need your help. Or at least: the help of our clients. The new tablet gives so many opportunities, innovations, directions we want to explore, we feel we need your help. How? By telling us what you feel we should do first, what programming, automation you need to further enhance the versatility our products give you.

The tablets will be launched with all the current programming available. But what else do you want, what additional controls do you want us to program? Just let us know and we will use your input to prioritize.

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-cM

Here's a picture of an iStill 250 we will be shipping to the USA later this week. With the 220/230 volts conversion kit, the new Power Management Module, the iCatalyst, and the easy, wingnut operated, lifting system:

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-cX