Oldest coppersmith in the US?

jlevac

The guy who builds those boilers does some nice work, I've had the chance to deal with him and he's a top notch guy.

The wood cladding is a really interesting touch and would certainly offer a good degree of insulation. Being wood, I'd really recommend the electric heating that appears to be offered as an option. Wood and direct fire seem to be polar opposites, and I don't thing that a steam heat jacket is offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky1,....sorry but that's wrong. I had the copper tank built in the South East US by a copper smith that's 83 years old, I will not reveal his name. He does old time copper work and I'm quite proud to have him doing these for me. I designed the tank and did all the insulation and wood work myself. I was a cabinet maker for many years. Now make cypress fermenters for HBS and started producing these copper stills for the start up distilleries across the US.....Thought they deserved something pretty for a center piece of their distillery. Plus these are all Made in the USA, Tank and Column. Paul-Confederate Stills of Alabama, CSA

Saw the question about steam jacked stills like my wood sided copper: Yes, I have a US specialy tank builder, that has agreed to build me custom steam jacked stills (heavy copper internal, SS jacket) designed such that I can insulate and surround with hardwood. Choices are oak, cheery, walnut, mahogany. Can do these from 100 to 500 gallons at far less than Vendome ever would consider. Ya'll can friend me on FB and see pics of my cypress fermenters and stills. FB is "Confederate Stills". Paul-CSA

post-5789-0-97072300-1370549032_thumb.jp

Going to respond to the wood siding and gas heat concerns: The stand has a heat shrowd around the bottom, the 440K BTU burner sits about 11" below the bottom of the tank. The tank sits on the metal ring of the stand with a fire proof cloth seal on the ring. The wood is several inches outside the stand ring. No way for the flame to reach the wood....The flame is well below the tank, flame cant reach outside the tank bottom to stand seal. Once the POT is up to temp, the flame is cut way back anyway. The copper pot is insulated and then the wood sideing installed making for a very well insulated tank. Shine On, Paul-CSA

post-5789-0-53435900-1370573054_thumb.jp

Reply to Mendodistilling: the article is based on only coppersmiths that are membesr of "A Copper Alliance Member", I'm quite sure that every person that delves into the art of copper smithing doesn't care to be a member of the Copper Alliance. But knowing the man that does my tanks, he has no reason to be exaggerating his age of 80's. His helpers are in their 60's. Computer searches are like data bases, only as good as the information that has been feed into it. Paul-CSA