Facility Space Requirements

CHRiver

Hi -

I am a new member to ADI and I am currently looking into starting a craft disctillary as part of a restautant. We have found a great space, great location, and great price. We need to move very quickly on the property but have three questions as to whether or not we can have the distillary in the building as well as the restuarant. My research has not lead to definitive answers so I am hoping someone out there can help.

1. I have read that you need 16' high ceilings. Is this true? The space only has 12' ceilings.
  2. Do we need a fire wall between the still and the resturant? Can anyone site the specific place for the regulations on this?
  3. Is there a recommended amount of space for a small still?

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

I have read that you need 16' high ceilings. Is this true? The space only has 12' ceilings

You don't *need* 16' ceilings. I've got 12' ceilings and get by just fine. I wouldn't mind higher ceilings, or at least a higher overhead door, but if the space your looking at satisfies most other needs, you would likely be fine with 12'.

Do we need a fire wall between the still and the resturant? Can anyone site the specific place for the regulations on this?

At the very least, that is up to your fire inspector, but i would not be surprised if it is specified in the code. Not a huge deal to hang an extra sheet or two of dry wall to keep things safe and to keep inspectors happy.

Is there a recommended amount of space for a small still?

That's a tough one to answer. Obviously, the still itself doesn't take up much space. Oak casks, grain bags, totes, drums, and office space, bottling area, pallets of glass... all that stuff does. Your process and production will dictate your need for space. I'm running a 140g still in 1,600 sq/ft of production area. It's starting to get pretty tight.

Again, if the space works for everything else and you think you can make do... go for it. I've scene some bad ass distilleries crammed into some crazy small spaces.

The International Building Code (IBC) will establish the separation requirements between your distillery and restaurant. For the most reliable information, hire an architect for a couple hours to do a code evaluation (or negotiate a freebie in anticipation of future design work) of your concept and you should be well informed.

Some town building and or zoning officials will also do a preliminary zoning review for a minimal fee just to see if the basic zoning requirements can be met. Saves you the time and money of a fullblown zoning approval review/application in the event that there's a glaring problem for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am in the understanding that you cannot own a distillery and ANY establishment that sells or distributes alcohol. You didn't expressly say that you would be selling alcohol at the restaurant but I'm assuming. You could have an on-sight restuarant (physically) but have the space leased to a catering company if you will - then charge rent based on % of sales (maybe). Thats how the distilleries around here get away with it (read: Woodford)

I actually think that's regulated by state... In WA there's actually some words in the RCW that say - Nothing shall prohibit "A licensed distiller, domestic brewery, microbrewery, domestic winery, or a lessee of a licensed domestic brewer, microbrewery, or domestic winery, from being licensed as a spirits, beer, and wine restaurant..." And then there are a whole bunch of rules about being a spirits, wine and beer restaurant....

Correct, the states determine the limitations on ownership of other alcohol related businesses. In most states, the craft/farm/micro distiller license explicitly includes ability to have limited or on site retail, for on or off premise consumption, of some type. So, it is not seen as a different business, but part of the the same business.