Who has built their own still?

Mook

For those distilleries that have built their own still, did you run into any legal issues. I believe you have to have a license of sorts to be a still manufacturer. Did you have to wait until after you received your distillers license to build it, or is there an allowance of time to build it while the DSP is processing?

Is there any serial numbering or registering that needs to be done?

Anything else I should look into on this topic?

I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered.

Thanks!

No you don't need a license to build a still .... Don't even need to have it built before you file your paperwork.... Just assign a serial # (make something up ) and submit it with your paperwork .. It goes without saying that you really need some experience in fabrication , good welding skills, and some idea about how to build a device that will not rupture or leak under pressure .. Thanxxx...Brian

• 2 months later...

Hi, We also engineered and fabricated our own still and columns www.seattledistilling.com . From my heavy reading through the TTB manual...you are allowed a 60 day window to have your equipment together (in relevance to what you put on your application) from when you submit your application. Otherwise you will need to go back (after your DSP approval) to amend and add any other unlisted equipment. I agree with Brian, that you must have your knowledge in order in terms of welding/brazing, etc. Safety is obviously a concern, but also wasted efficiency and profit if you develop vapor leaks - and there will be leaks. Let me know if you have any questions! Cheers...Ishan.

You may not need a permit to build a still in USA but you do in Australia, you need the permit before construction commences. I built my own still, see image in left column

Stills are low pressure cooking vessels. You can build your own electric or gas heated versions with little or no questions asked....all you have to do is put a serial number on it for the State & fed TTB to get a distillery license. But, steam jacketed stills need to meet more stringent ASME codes.....those are a whole different ballgame. Jacket over pressure reliefs, ect must come into play . paul-csa Confederatestills.com

I don't know of any document existing that states what you don't need; usually it's the opposite stating what you do need. That I don't have any resources for either... If you do steam, the jacket is pressure rated and does have a whole set of code that comes with it and requires a pressure rated welder. All components of our still (aside from the steam jacket) are rated at 0.5 bar; and that level of pressure should never come even close to being reached in operation unless you have a malfunction - as the still should always be an open system at the end. NSF ratings are important for many surfaces and seals. Possibly the UL listing is being asked for the steam jacket?? - Ishan