Copper versus Stainless Condenser

Tom's Foolery

I am making some changes to my condenser and considering replacing the copper pipe and with an entirely stainless steel condenser. I know that copper is the best heat conductor, and (aside from looking nice) is easy for me to work with. However, I know that Christian Karl and others prefer stainless for everything that touches the distillate after it leaves the pot or column. I believe they prefer stainless because copper can potentially leave metal in the distillate, creating a negative copper flavor, clouding and even precipitates in the distillate. I do not know if this is just "theory" or if it really makes a difference. Is anybody aware of improved results from using stailness steel instead of copper in the condenser?

The theory is quite the opposite. Copper is an essential component to the distillation process as it acts as a catalyst to remove sulfur compounds from the vapor/distillate. There are differing stories behind this, but many swear by copper, claiming that there's a distinct funk to spirits made in a purely stainless rig. Consider the copper pot stills used for decades in Scotch whisky distilleries. No metallic taste there. Copper does not contribute to any haze or precipitation either.

Obviously, an all-stainless manufacturer will claim this is all bunk and nonsense, where a manufacturer of copper equipment will swear it's absolutely true.

I'm inclined to side with copper, personally. I'll also be the first to admit I don't have any side-by-side comparisons with stainless. As such, I can only relate what I've learned.

Cheers,

Paul

-I also think copper is prettier, but that's just my short attention span talking :)

I've heard the same thing from the guys at christian carl about copper being good in the vapor path and bad in the distillate path. Their reasoning makes sense. I haven't been able to find any info to prove or disprove the negative aspect of copper in the distillate path through the condenser, so it's a good question.

I am making some changes to my condenser and considering replacing the copper pipe and with an entirely stainless steel condenser. I know that copper is the best heat conductor, and (aside from looking nice) is easy for me to work with. However, I know that Christian Karl and others prefer stainless for everything that touches the distillate after it leaves the pot or column. I believe they prefer stainless because copper can potentially leave metal in the distillate, creating a negative copper flavor, clouding and even precipitates in the distillate. I do not know if this is just "theory" or if it really makes a difference. Is anybody aware of improved results from using stailness steel instead of copper in the condenser?

I've heard the same thing from the guys at christian carl about copper being good in the vapor path and bad in the distillate path. Their reasoning makes sense. I haven't been able to find any info to prove or disprove the negative aspect of copper in the distillate path through the condenser, so it's a good question.

Most seem to agree that copper in the pot/column/vapor path improves quality. It is the distillate path (overhead pipe, pre-heater, and condenser) where there seem to be opposing beliefs. And since I am about to spend time and money on rebuilding my condenser, it sure would be nice to know if copper in the condenser can really have a negative impact (not neutral, but negative) on the product quality. I know that Christian Carl prefers stainless. Does anybody know if the other high-quality manufacturers use stainless in their condensers?

I know that Vendome has done a few. The reaction that the posters above are talking about really only happens when the distillate is hot, and/or in vapor phase. Not much point to having a copper condenser, but this is only my opinion. I'm sure you'll hear different from others. There aren't a whole lot of absolutes in distilling.

Paul G's comment about SS stills and having a side by side comparison has already been done......a few US Whiskey producers tried them for a time, and then promptly switched back to copper, as the distillate wasn't nearly as soft.

I know that Vendome has done a few. The reaction that the posters above are talking about really only happens when the distillate is hot, and/or in vapor phase. Not much point to having a copper condenser, but this is only my opinion. I'm sure you'll hear different from others. There aren't a whole lot of absolutes in distilling.

Paul G's comment about SS stills and having a side by side comparison has already been done......a few US Whiskey producers tried them for a time, and then promptly switched back to copper, as the distillate wasn't nearly as soft.

Folks,

I agree that copper is a "softener" and that it is classic and traditional. As for the condenser, copper is twice as efficient, similar in cost to stainless, and very pretty. stainless will outlast copper and is a little easier to maintain. I like to think, when done right on either, stainless steel is more cleanable. I make a heat exchanger that is very attractive and easy to use. It cools very efficiently for a 600L pot. it undoubtably will cool for about twice the size still as mentioned. The cost for this chiller with stand alone "legs" and a short piece of connection ss line with adapter and parrot sells for around $4000.00. The adapter makes for easy use with your still. I have seen 1800ml per minute of 150 proof running out at steady state, this was of course a test and normally would be run a bit slower.

This is only my thoughts to be taken with a grain of salt...and lemon...with a shot of your favorite distillate.

In great spirits,

Jester