Beer foaming

grehorst

I suggested oil, since that's what we used at Quaker Oats (in the labs) to control foaming during sugar test digestion (burning the sugar to ash). We used extra virgin olive oil.

Other Ideas:

From 27cfr24.246 (Materials authorized for treatment of juice/wine - also allowed in distilling material)

Defoaming agents (polyoxyethylene 40 monostearate, silicon

dioxide, dimethylpoly-siloxane, sorbitan monostearate, gyceryl

mono-oleate and gyceryl dioleate): To control foaming,

fermentation adjunct.

Defoaming agents which are 100% active may be used in

amounts not exceeding 0.15 lbs/1000 gals. (0.018 g/L of wine.

Defoaming agents which are 30% active may be used in

amounts not exceeding 0.5 lbs/100 gals. (0.06 g/L) of wine.

Silicon dioxide shall be completely removed by filtration. The

amount of silicon remaining in the wine shall not exceed 10

parts per million. 21 CFR 173.340 and 184.1505.

Beer antifoam is the dimethylpoly-siloxane mentioned above.

Alpha galactosidase enzyme activity to breakdown the polysaccharides first. That's Beano. Don't know how much you'd have to add, or how long you'd have to wait for it to work before putting it in the kettle.

Protease enzyme activity. Again, will need to be added and wait for conversion. There are a number of sources and you'll probably want to look on the wine side of things rather than the beer side of things. Silica gel preps can strip proteins - but not necessarily the ones you want.

I was just browsing through 'Brewing Science and Practice' - and there's a fair bit of discussion about ways to knock out hazing forming proteins with minimal impact on foam stabilizing proteins. You want to do the opposite.

We're doing some experiments with distilling beer and we're getting a LOT of foaming. We've tried mineral oil but still the foam comes like crazy! Any ideas to stop it?

We use Fermcap S which is a silicone based anti-foam product from Brewer's Supply Group.

• 6 months later...
We're doing some experiments with distilling beer and we're getting a LOT of foaming. We've tried mineral oil but still the foam comes like crazy! Any ideas to stop it?

Have you tried butter? It's what the Scots use.

• 1 month later...
Have you tried butter? It's what the Scots use.

I believe the Scots use "old school" bar soap as well. Obviously not your typical Dove....

Is this a foam you notice through the sight port above the ogee? They will have a double valve hooked up to the vent valve on the pot. During distillation if they notice excessive foaming (with the valve leading in the pot closed) they open the 2nd valve, take a small slice of the soap, drop it in the valve. Close that valve, open the other.....allowing the soap sliver to drop into the pot.

• 6 years later...

Antifoam has come up in discussion a few times recently and on searching I see this old thread mentions using soap. I use pure soap flakes that are made for washing clothes

I was in Scotland a few weeks ago visiting their newest distillery, Kingsbarns.

I asked the distiller what he used for antifoam. He pulled a cake of un-perfumed soap from the drawer and proceeded to chop it up with a cheese grater.

He told me their distillery consultant advised against using silicon because it coated the copper and reduced reflux (this is now third hand information so check before you rely on it)

I also visited Ireland's newest distillery, Teeling Whisky.

I met head distiller Alex (originally from USA, Oregon) who introduced himself on this forum about 3 years ago, and Jack Teeling. Both very friendly and generous with their time.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:40 PM, eganter said:

Does anyone know of a good supplier that sells in large quantities for "Ferm Cap S"?

Country Malt Group has 1 gal and 5 gal sizes for something very similar to Ferm Cap