Hello from the Alamo

Hello All,

I have just begun to start research on starting up a small distillery. Of course, like everything in my life, I think it will be super easy! ha ha ha. I want to get the basics. I am sure these questions have been answered many times before, but I want to know the ABCs of getting started. I lived in Puerto Rico for a number of years and fell in love with RUM! I would like to try my hand at it and hopefully pocket a little change. So where should I begin?

Well, you'll need a business plan.

Is this business to be just you? That will limit what you can do. This isn't a bad thing at all. If you'll have employees, you'll need to investigate the costs of things like workers comp, disability insurance, etc. for your employees.

Look into the liquor laws in the state in which you plan to operate. Presumably that is where you live now. Make very sure that state allows small distilleries. Investigate the costs of licensing. Are you allowed to self-distribute, or must you find a distributor? Will a distributor in your state be interested your product (eg rum) in the quantity you plan on producing?

If you don't know how rum is made, then I'd suggest learning all about it. Use the internet, books, visit the library.

Make sure the building you will use meets the Federal requirements as well as all state and local requirements. You'll want to become very familiar with the TTB web site. Click on the Distilled Spirits tab. Find the Regulations link which will take you to the regulations you'll have to follow as a professional distiller.

For me, starting a distillery, even as one as small as mine has taken over a year and I'm still not done.

It is the most difficult thing I've ever attempted to do.

Thanks for your information. I live in Texas, and as far as I know there are currently two micro-distillers in the state. I have begun working on a business plan and I have also begun researching production methods for a couple of different spirits.

Well, you'll need a business plan.

Is this business to be just you? That will limit what you can do. This isn't a bad thing at all. If you'll have employees, you'll need to investigate the costs of things like workers comp, disability insurance, etc. for your employees.

Look into the liquor laws in the state in which you plan to operate. Presumably that is where you live now. Make very sure that state allows small distilleries. Investigate the costs of licensing. Are you allowed to self-distribute, or must you find a distributor? Will a distributor in your state be interested your product (eg rum) in the quantity you plan on producing?

If you don't know how rum is made, then I'd suggest learning all about it. Use the internet, books, visit the library.

Make sure the building you will use meets the Federal requirements as well as all state and local requirements. You'll want to become very familiar with the TTB web site. Click on the Distilled Spirits tab. Find the Regulations link which will take you to the regulations you'll have to follow as a professional distiller.

For me, starting a distillery, even as one as small as mine has taken over a year and I'm still not done.

It is the most difficult thing I've ever attempted to do.