New barrel providers?

TetonDistillery

We use their Craft Distiller's barrel, both Char 3 and Special Distiller's Char. Prices are very reasonable, but they only supply 53 gallon barrels. You will want to replace supplied bungs with your own. We also use barrels from Black Swan and Barrel Mills, both good suppliers for smaller barrels. Not disparaging any other manufacturers, just the ones we have used and are happy with.

I am using ISC right now their Craft Distillers Barrels. I love the barrels, and the customer service.

Just know that they are experiencing a shortage right now, and they may not be able to fill your order. Especially if you are not an existing client.

Just know that they are experiencing a shortage right now, and they may not be able to fill your order. Especially if you are not an existing client.

They are just restarting Craft Distiller barrel production in August, as they finish working through the backlog.

Is there a certain number to buy where the shipping costs are more efficient?

Not really for us, but we are not far away (Missouri to Chicago). It has to go truck, and they shipped unpalleted, so after 4 or so it was fairly linearly priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Details?

Their bungs are shallow and easily splinter. We buy a bunch of silicone bungs and use those. Easy to remove, seal well, don't leak, last forever. After losing two bungs stuck in barrels, and others that leak, we switched to silicone.

Just had to share a story. We had recieved our order 8-9 weeks ago and did not have the whiskey ready to put in to the barrels. So once I was ready I started to swell all the barrels 5/6 of them were sealed/swelled and ready to go while the 6th one stood up on the head the belly hoop fell off. I flipped the barrel the other way and the opposite barrel hoop fell off.

I called ISC and they said that I had let the barrels be dry for too long (and I admit that my fault), but that they were going to take care of me and they certainly did that. They 2nd day shipped a hoop driver (something I recommend EVERY distiller/cooper to have) on their dime. I got the hoops banged into place, and it is currently holding rye whiskey like the other 5.

Just super happy with their customer service. And to get back to a statement of them being out of wood, I talked to my guy there and he said they are producing again and the lead time currently for spirit barrels is 6-8 weeks right now.

We had the same thing happen to us, we unwrapped one and let it dry too long and the hoops fell off. They told us just to drive the hoops and reswell them, which we did successfully. But they didn't send us a free hoop driver, we had to by our own. So, others should NOT expect they will all get a free hoop driver (about a $50 item).

Who has the best prices for the smaller sized (less than 53 gallons) barrels?

We are looking to make a bulk purchase.

Thanks

We purchase from both Black Swan and Barrel Mills, and have had good product from both. I don't know how their price compares to others, but comparable to each other. I suggest you contact them. All of the suppliers appear to be heavily subscribed, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I am getting ready to place our first order of barrels and have narrowed down to Kelvin and ISC (Independent Stave Company).  There is some more recent feedback on Kelvin on the forum, but I noticed the information from this thread on ISC is a few years old.  Does anyone using ISC have some recent feedback?  Or if anyone has any comparisons between ISC or Kelvin (product quality, accuracy of lead times, customer service, positive / negative experience, etc.).

We've used both, the Kelvin barrels are quite smoky tasting compared to other barrels we've used with similar specs (size, air drying, toasting, charring). They seem to be pretty good quality compared to some other suppliers we've gotten barrels from (Blackswan being the absolute worst). The ISC barrels offer a lot of options these days for toasting/charring/aging, and they also do a lot of research and testing (https://www.amazon.com/International-Symposium-reasearch-Highlights-Symposiums/dp/B005X9KQYS) and if you know the flavor profile you are looking for they can guide you to the right barrel. The barrels are some times a bit rough looking, but every one so far hasn't needed any reworking for leaks. The turn-around was very fast the last time we ordered, and we'll probably get our next lot from them as well 

At ZAK Cooperage we are always taking on new customers and we welcome additions. We offer standard 53 & 30 gallon barrels with craft options including 2 year air seasoned white oak, stave grooving, etc. Currently we can get most orders delivered within 2 weeks notice. Feel free to contact us at Zach.Zimlich@gmail.com or 502-475-1600 or come meet us at our ADI booth 1024. 

23 hours ago, ZAK Cooperage said:

At ZAK Cooperage we are always taking on new customers and we welcome additions. We offer standard 53 & 30 gallon barrels with craft options including 2 year air seasoned white oak, stave grooving, etc. Currently we can get most orders delivered within 2 weeks notice. Feel free to contact us at Zach.Zimlich@gmail.com or 502-475-1600 or come meet us at our ADI booth 1024. 

We have been happy with our ZAK barrels. They ship their barrels on pallets for no extra charge which we like. ZAK barrels seal up tight and almost never leak, I cannot say the same for 2 other companies we tried.  Haven’t tried ISC yet.