Help with Steam Generator/boiler selection

Hypnopooper

I am getting two distilling tanks delivered next week. Each tank is capable of distilling 100 gallons each at a time. The tanks are insulated and steam jacketed for 15PSI steam. We will be using a 4 inch plated column, but eventually will move to 6" plated columns. I am looking at electric steam generators/boilers. Specifically the Sussman ES-30 or the Electric Mr.Steam CU750 Steam Generator. I want to power 2 stills at the same time. We will also be mashing on the grain in these same tanks. Can anyone tell me if these 2 can power my stills?

Currently I am eyeing 2 steam generators. The specs for each are as follows:

Sussman ES-30 = 30KW, 3.06Bhp, 90.4 Steam Lbs/Hr, 208 3phase, 84 Amps

Mr. Steam CU750 = 18KW, 1.84 Bhp, 54.2 Steam Lbs/Hr, 208 3 phase, 50 Amps

My distilling tank design is also attached.

new-474L1.pdf

From my calculations we needed about 30kw for our 100 gallon pot still with doubler. That's like a 1 tray column still. About 100,000 btu/hr.

So, it depends on how many trays you have in your stills.

Can your still provider not give you a recommendation on required heat?

Since I am basically building the still with mix and match components, that makes me the still provider. For now we are going to be using a 4 and 6 plate hillbilly stills, with a desire to move to a 6" column in the future. I don't think hillbilly has any details like boiler size requirements especially since I had commissioned the work for the distilling tanks myself. I am now thinking more along the lines of a Sussman ES-135 to ES-180. The ES-180 can provide the needed 300K BTU and 600lbs/hr steam to run to stills simultaneously, but I'm thinking I could save some money and go with the ES-135 and stagger my still usage by not starting the second until the first is up to temperature. Any Thoughts?

If you are looking at electric steam generators, I'd recommend a Bryan unit, as they have user-serviceable coils.

Best practice is to size your steam for water boil. This will ensure that you have steam power for your entire run. If you know the volume of your still, and the temperature that you start at (usually the room temperature of your wash) then you can calculate your delta T to boil...I'd go ahead and assume it's 212, even though we all know it's lower.

I will always always ALWAYS buy a boiler bigger than my steam needs.

Something else to think about is the size of your condensers. I would suggest checking with Mike for actual numbers, but just as an estimate, I suspect the condenser on the hillbilly flute can only handle 5-10kw at most.