Moonshine Standard of Identity

Jim J

I hope I am not repeating a post, but there are more and more "Moonshines" appearing on the market. I have not been able to find the standard of Identity for moonshine. Am I missing something, or is it considered a neutral? I have seen a lot of shine, but never one distilled above 95%, and shine is made from whatever they can get their hands on.

Moonshine is a marketing term not a standards of identity classification. Our moonshine is corn whiskey. Some on the market are GNS or GNS with fruit added. Don't remember what they are calling them. I did see one moonshine that said grain neutral spirits with natural flavor.

I make Corn Whisky, which is the tradditional Moonshine of these parts, South-West Virginia, in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. Virginia Sweetwater Moonshine. It is in the corn whisky class, the only clear spirit, unaged, that can be called "Whisky".

No legal standard. The general interpretation is that it is unaged corn whiskey or a special made from corn and sugar. All sugar would be sugar shine. Most assume it is 100% corn whiskey, or nearly so (perhaps some malt for conversion). We respect that general concept, hence we call our unaged corn whiskey "white lightning" because it is not 100% corn (has rye and barley). Others consider white lightning to be a higher proof version, a light whiskey, rather than a whiskey. Some consider moonshine could be the same. We do call one of our products moonshine that is a corn whiskey with some honey in the ferment.