5 bbl brewery boiler questions

mendodistilling

I'm looking at setting up a 5 bbl pilot system and have the options between gas fired and boiler steam. I'm having trouble with how to automate the temperature regulation and am looking to setup a boiler for them. I'd like to setup a boiler that is the right size for it. I've been told that 33,000 btu per bbl is the formula to use to size the boilers to the brewery so I'm thinking something like 165k btu should work, so I found a 2 stage boiler and like input on whether this will work or not.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Lochinvar-CBL360M-9-257000-BTU-Output-Two-Stage-Spark-Ignition-Copper-Fin-Boiler-LP-Gas

There are two ways to regulate the temperature.

First would be a simple thermostat that turns the steam valve on when the temperature is below the set point.

The other is to use pid which would modulate the steam valve to try to maintain the set point. The problem with the pid solution is that tuning is somewhat difficult in a system that can be commanded to heat but relies on ambient cooling to return when there is some overshoot.

One point many people miss is the fact that the boiler will stop producing steam if there is no demand and start as soon as there is demand.

One concern I have is that this is a two stage "Hydronic" water heater. No where in the description does it mention steam. You need somewhat pressurized steam for the boil the wort.

You want to run just a mashing system or a still too on that boiler? I agree with Sherman on quick look that doesn't look ideal for your needs I would guess though. If you are trying to go cheap then direct fire is probably better. If that boiler can't do steam and pressure which I doubt it can, then you are going to have a real challenge doing a stripping run with it. To Sherman's point, you probably want 12 PSI steam (which most boilers I believe aren't designed for), which would put a little over 240 degree steam into a jacket. Good luck.

We have always had steam. Both for our mash kettle and 16 plate 300ltr still. The highest pressure we have ever run was from 5 to 7 psi for the mash kettle. Direct injection of steam. And 1 1/4 # for still. Coop