Filtering Equipement

FrEwing

One of the natural elements I use to flavor one of my products breaks down in the flavoring aging process to a talc like material which settles at the bottom of the tank. The particle size is around .5 microns. Its almost impossible to filter as a sludge. I am considering this waste. However, there is still lots of these fine particles suspended in the liqueur throughout the tank that I can filter. For now I'm only doing test batches of a few gallons and are filtering by hand. It is taking hours to filter and obviously not viable for production quantities of 50 plus gallon batches. Any one have any recommendations for a good pump and a filter combination I can use to get the job done? Thanks Dick G (703) 408-2776

We are for example supplying them, but in Europe...in the moment...but have an idea to work with American vodka and brandy, whisky manufacturers. But when it could be...do not know yet.

Instead of cellulose-glass fiber elements you can take,for instance, polypropelene ones, of course better pleated 1.0-2.0 mkm, the second cascade-membrane polyamide filter elements 0.2-0.45 mkm. Flowrate no more than 300 l\hour per single 10 inch element.

I'd probably spring for a plate and frame filter...you can get these mini buon vino vino jet table top filters that work great for up to about 200 liters at a time. I used to use one for filtering ciders.

But we have an Enolmaster vacuum bottler now, and that gets rid of small particulate just fine. Or perhaps an inline filter from GW Kent http://www.gwkent.com/proline-filter-housing.html or http://www.gwkent.com/steam-gas-filter-housing-1.html for which they have plenty of filter media options.

For about 2 g they have a pico plate and frame filter, too. Great piece of equipment.

Good luck

We are looking at one of the Proline Single Membrance filters like you have linked below, for our bottling line. Are you familiar with these and do you like them?

I'd probably spring for a plate and frame filter...you can get these mini buon vino vino jet table top filters that work great for up to about 200 liters at a time. I used to use one for filtering ciders.

But we have an Enolmaster vacuum bottler now, and that gets rid of small particulate just fine. Or perhaps an inline filter from GW Kent http://www.gwkent.co...er-housing.html or http://www.gwkent.co...-housing-1.html for which they have plenty of filter media options.

For about 2 g they have a pico plate and frame filter, too. Great piece of equipment.

Good luck

Yeah, we had one that we tried for filtering beer on our pilot brewhouse. As I recall it was a bit disappointing when we tried to filter an Alt beer. Might be great for spirits, though...I haven't tried it for that.

Build quality was good, and they work great for ciders...

Personally, just about everything I use for filtering ends up coming from a plumbing warehouse...find a good filter company, like Crystal Quest, and sit with that and a McMaster catalog in your lap.

I'm not convinced that sanitary fittings are necessary for dealing with spirits once past fermentation, so I tend to make a lot of my own stuff. As long as you mitigate vapor and spark hazard...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you still have questions about filtration equipment and what may work best based on your specific setup, feel free to contact us- we have a full range of products and will be happy to speak with you. Aftek, Inc.- we can be reached at 585.458.7550, or by email at katherine@aftekfilters.com

These guys are good. I work at a brewery also and use their stuff.