labeling and bottles

rlw

any advice on label design? will label companies work on your design or is it necessary to hire graphics design prior to contact with label companies? is there consensus on the good ones to work with? same question on bottles.

any advice on label design? will label companies work on your design or is it necessary to hire graphics design prior to contact with label companies? is there consensus on the good ones to work with? same question on bottles.

First you need to decide on a bottle as your label will need to fit it. Then the label design comes after that. We here at Colorado Gold had a very talented lady artist work hand and hand with us taking our ideas and putting them down then created our label from that. The cost was about 350.00. Then the printing company she works with got us quotes on the labels them selves. Worked great. Coop

Second on Coop's comment.

ADI's art director, Don McCartney (don@donmccartney.com) is superb. He's created numerous labels and packaging for me at Upland Brewing Company (you can check them out @ uplandbeer.com).

There are specific instructions from the TTB on label content and wording which you should get from their website www.ttb.gov. Beyond those specific regulations, they don't pay too much attention to the graphics on your label.

Printers run a large gamut in both price and useability. Depending on the bottle you choose, I recommend getting some feedback from anyone out there using the same or similar bottle. There are some nifty hand-labelling machines, especially popular among small vintners.

When you're done, bring a sample to the next conference!

Penn

I could also help. I’ve been doing graphic design for the last eight years. I have designed flyers, CD's, websites, logos and all of my bottle labels. I will also revise the design at no extra cost if there are any problems with your COLA.

We are printers of custom pressure sensitive labels. Both digital and flexo. Not glue, our labels come on rolls. We print for many distilleries and wineries. Bigger is not always better for labels. Do a cut out on paper and fit the template on your bottle. I recommend you get a graphic designer, one familiar with TTB. They will prepare the artwork for you so it is submitted to your printer in the correct format. Makes the process much less painful for you.

Table top labelers are excellent. We sell several of one particular model. If you freeze, refrigerate or have high humidity make sure your label adhesive will hold up.

Irene George

Landmark Label

408-262-6111