Tempurature Set Points For Stripping Runs

Southernhighlander

Does anyone have temperature set points for doing a stripping run? I need them to program a controller for a 500 gallon steam jacketed stripping still with a 12" diameter X30" stainless stripping column with a 12" x 48" tube and shell condenser. I would like to do the stripping run in around 2 hours once operating temp is reached. The resulting low wines will be 25% ABV to 30% ABV from 12%ABV mash. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have temperature set points for doing a stripping run?... I would like to do the stripping run in around 2 hours once operating temp is reached.

Your question is a bit off-putting. Still automation is a very complicated and potentially dangerous issue best left to the experts. There is no such thing as "temperature set points" that will automatically complete a stripping run in "2 hours once operating temperature is reached", mainly because temperature has no relation to volume of output.

I think that it's great that you're utilizing the Forum to learn more about distillation, and I am not trying to insult or embarrass you at all; none of us is an expert on everything. My advice would be to stick with your own strengths and sub out this particular project to someone who has experience in this area. I've never used his stuff, but Swede seems to be quite the expert...

Nick

Hey there Nick, Thanks for your input. There's no way you could embarrass me, so no worries there my friend. Since the liquid temperature of the mash will never exceed its boiling point, then of course we must primarily concern ourselves with the temperature of the Alcohol and Water Azeotropic mixture in its gaseous state. Of course the volume and temperature of this gas will increase as more btus of energy are applied over time to the mash, thus we can control the time that it takes for the complete distillation of a given volume of 12% mash, by manipulating the amount of energy in BTUS that is applied to the mash. So, since there is a direct relationship between the amount of energy applied to the mash and the amount of vapor produced over a given time from the mash, then the application of X number of BTUS will produce 200 gallons of %30 low wines from 500 gallons of mash in 2 hours. Thanks Nick, you just solved my problem. It looks like a fairly simple formula to create. Does anyone know were I can get sensors for % of Alcohol