Synthetic or natural corks for clear spirits?

whiskeytango

Synthetic. For spirits, the customer will open and reopen the bottle, and will store it standing up for extended periods of time. A natural cork would have the tendency to dry out and them crumble or break on repeated openings, as a result. Yeah, they look nice, and I still sometimes like to have them in my wines, but it really pisses me off when one breaks or detaches from the cap.

• 2 weeks later...

We had major problems with natural corks separating from the bar top in our clear spirits, but Amorim Cork came up with a new adhesive process that seemed to be effective in the 13th hour. Also they peroxide bleach their cork, so taint issues we not prevalent, but we did notice issues with the corks getting some "flora" about them after repeated opening and closing. For us, we wanted to stick with natural cork, but it was such a negative connotation with the natural corks towards our product that we switched to synthetic- tapi, as an interim, and now have moved to Stelvin ROPP capsules. As our sales reps said, "We don't care what the closure is as long as it doesn't break."

• 2 weeks later...