Storing Oak Barrels

Sorghumrunner

Exciting news today, I received my first shipment of used bourbon barrels. They were just dumped last week and shipped to me. I'm looking for information on storing these barrels for 2-3 months before filling them. We're planning to begin distilling this winter. Would they be ok if stored on pallets with their bung plugs in, or do I need to soak them/fill them with water till we get closer to filling them?

Next question is, if a barrel does leak, is it possible to fix them? I assume that overseas they ship the barrel broken down, and then a cooper rebuilds them?

In my experience, if the barrels were just dumped last week and they came to you with the bungs sealed (ie they have not dried out since being dumped), then you will be fine to store them for a few months without treating them in anyway. Just do a smell check when you do pop the bungs in a few months to ensure that the inside smells like bourbon and not acidic/vinegar.

I definitely would advise against filling them with water as the water and wood will spoil overtime.

Yes, most barrel leaks are rather easy to fix. ISC sells a coopering set to fix barrel leaks. With used barrels, you may find leaks to be more common, but they should seal themselves rather quickly once filled and bunged.

As far as breaking down barrels and shipping overseas, last time I talked to Kelvin Cooperage, they told me the Scottish distillers are just asking for the barrels shipped whole and they fill them without ever breaking them down.

• 1 month later...

So I got two different responses here. Speaking with my winemaking friend he suggested a citric acid soak and then closing them back up. The barrels have sat empty for a month with their bungs sealed, and it will probably be 6-8 more weeks before I begin to put product in them. They are used whiskey barrels, about 4 years old on average.

I re-filled 2 barrels yesterday that had been emptied at least 2 months ago. Not even a small seep was to be seen.

Winemakers may need to use citric but I would think the dregs / fumes from 120 proof is a very good preservative.

My suggestion, do not put any water in the empty barrels, (maybe a little high proof spirit, but I don't know how you account for that with TTB)

bung in tight, wrap each barrel with pallet stretch wrap plastic, and store in a cool place out of sun.

If you are concerned that the barrels have developed a leak, fill with hot water just before you are ready to fill. Hot water swells the wood quickly.

Cool. So we have two barrel aged products here, fortified wines, and spirits (brandy and sorghum spirit). I think I ought to go ahead with citric acid in the wine barrels, and leave the spirit barrels be til January, perhaps testing them by filling with warm water before filling. My only concern then with the spirit barrels is keeping them from drying out and the hoops coming loose.

I've seen at Germain Robin they were misting barrels in the dry california summer, here in North Carolina I've got a dry winter, and humid summer. I wonder if humidification in the barrel room in the winter would be helpful?

LOOSE HOOPS.

Sorry I forgot to mention it. I always drive hoops on a little tighter if they will move, before adding hot water or spirit.

If you don't have a proper hoop driver then a piece of steel about 1/4 inch by 3 inch by 8 inch works OK. ( Disclaimer: Be careful not to hit your knuckles ;)

Hammer needs to be about 5 times the weight of a normal carpenters hammer.