Used Dairy Equipment

Shindig

I remember selling compressors for Surge Bulk Milk Tanks out of Chicago.

They were a national company (I don't know if they're still around) and had a large volume of business and local (to the farms) service people, so I would check that out in an area where the dairies are.

There are others, but my brain is in lock down.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

A lot of brewery use dairy tanks for their bright tanks. Ipswich Ale is famous for it.

There are many small distilleries that are using open top dairy tanks for their fermentation. Those tanks usually are shorter and longer vs taller which tack up less floor space. Always things to remember while designing a distillery set up.

All stainless steel tanks will work open or closed tops. The issue is during the cleaning process CIP or by hand. Fun Fun

Open Top fermenters are always cheaper but it comes with a cost because of spoilage. Once the wash is almost done fermenting, get it in the still or else you will lose the tank.

Hope this helps Shindig

• 2 weeks later...

Open Top fermenters are always cheaper but it comes with a cost because of spoilage. Once the wash is almost done fermenting, get it in the still or else you will lose the tank.

Hope this helps Shindig

While I largely agree with this statement, I do know one (very successful, well known) distiller that uses open fermenters, and leaves the windows above them open...lets a really amazing pellicle grow on them and claims it "adds flavor."

And I have used open tops with glycol jackets. If you crash them to 40 or below, they generally stay pretty fresh.

Having said all that, I prefer closed ferms.

• 2 months later...