Tequila in Missouri

I just got started with our new still and I have ordered Agave Nectar, to make a "Tequila Style Spirit" I understand the whole region thing of Tequila and from Mexico. But when I went for the pre-cola they don't allow for domestic production, Mexico only. But as a craft distiller has anyone made or wanted to make this?

I live down in Texas, and we are looking at tequila as one of our signature spirits. I sourced the agave nectar and it seems to be fairly cost effective. There are also some pretty good sized agave farms in south Texas as well. The folks down here really know their tequila so we are hoping to put our own Texas twist on it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I just got started with our new still and I have ordered Agave Nectar, to make a "Tequila Style Spirit" I understand the whole region thing of Tequila and from Mexico. But when I went for the pre-cola they don't allow for domestic production, Mexico only. But as a craft distiller has anyone made or wanted to make this?

You can make anything and find a place for it within the regs. I'm guessing you used the word "tequila" on your app. - if so, that is likely the problem and a big no no. Try calling it something like Agave Spirit.

Good luck!

Hey St Louis-

Where did you source the Agave Nectar from? I haven't started shopping yet but it's on my radar. We intended to call in Agave Brandy or Agave Eau De Vie, but haven't put it to COLA yet.

Good luck, I hope we are able to see some interesting things start happening in the Tequila category.

Sean

There are several small distilleries making Tequila style spirits. Dogfish Head in Delaware is or was one of them. I don

t know if they still are making it. I think they called it Ta-kee-la for COLA purposes.

Hey St Louis-

Where did you source the Agave Nectar from? I haven't started shopping yet but it's on my radar. We intended to call in Agave Brandy or Agave Eau De Vie, but haven't put it to COLA yet.

Good luck, I hope we are able to see some interesting things start happening in the Tequila category.

Sean

There are several small distilleries making Tequila style spirits. Dogfish Head in Delaware is or was one of them. I don

t know if they still are making it. I think they called it Ta-kee-la for COLA purposes.

I don't see an approved COLA for anything but vodka from Dogfish. Perhaps it did not fly with the TTB?

Keith

We are working with a company in Mexico to see if we would be able to ferment the agave wine and bottle here. They are checking with the Mexican authorities to see if we can do this and call it Tequila. Let you know what happens.

Hey St Louis-

Sean

Dogfish Head in Delaware is or was one of them. I don't know if they still are making it. I think they called it Ta-kee-la for COLA purposes.

Not sure whether the TTB communicates with the USPTCO because the specific province in Mexico where Tequila is produced has an international trademark on the word Tequila (which is the reason we cannot use it here in the states). And with trademark law, it's merely whether the name used is "similar" (in spelling or sound), thus Ta-kee-la would definitely be a source of confusion and thus violate the trademark statute.

What we need to do is create our own "generic name" for a US based agave spirit.