Trade Name Question

tipk99

I'm curious how the trade name works... If, when you first file your DSP, you list a trade name - can you bottle as your company name AND your trade name? So for example if my company is called "Tom's Spirits, LLC" and I list "Awesome Liqueur Company" as my trade name. Can I bottle a Vodka or Gin as "Tom's Spirits," but bottle all my liqueurs as "Awesome Liqueur Company?"

And are they both "Distilled by Tom's Spirits, LLC" per the label requirtements?

Does this question make any sense at all?

Thanks for the help

Tom

A couple dozen DSPs own 95% of all the brands we see at our local bars/stores. They use dba/tradenames just like Jedd said. Here's an example:

LAWRENCEBURG DISTILLERS INDIANA, LLC

7 RIDGE AVE

LAWRENCEBURG IN 47025

THE BULLEIT DISTILLING CO. (Used on label)

Fh4bzDO.png

You may put a brand name listed on your permit on the front or back of your bottle. You may also have a fanciful name on the front of the bottle.

So the front can say "Tom's" for the vodka or gin, or "Tom's Handcrafted" for the vodka and gin and still put any trade name listed on your permit on the back. You may have the same name for everything or separate names for each product line. This also allows you to produce spirits for someone else using their brand name.

Ok so say your listed as AAA LLC for your DSP and you have a DBA of Happy Distillers.

So on your bottle label on the front you have your Product name as "Tasty Gin" then a logo on the front as well that shows Happy Distillers and on the back the bottled by info is Distilled and bottled by happy distillers as well (not to worried about the small print on the back)

Now Say you want to change the Branding name on the front from happy Distillers to Un Happy Distillers. Can you add a new trade name to your ttb acount for "Un Happy Distillers" and switch them on the front where it says Happy Distillers to the Un Happy Distillers without getting re approval on the label?

Or is it just easier to change the name and call it the brand name for the label and just re submit for new label?

For questions like these, it's always advisable to check the TTB's list of allowable changes to COLAs.

http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/allowable_revisions.shtml

See #19 on that page, which allows trade name changes in certain circumstances.

19. Change the name or trade name to reflect a different name already approved for use by the responsible bonded wine cellar, taxpaid wine bottling house, distilled spirits plant, brewery, or importer. Change the address where it is within the same State.

This means that a bonded wine cellar, taxpaid wine bottling house, distilled spirits plant, brewery or importer may revise the label to include the use of a name or trade name that is already approved for that particular industry member. The name or trade name must appear on the basic permit, brewer’s notice, or other qualifying documents for the company to whom the original certificate was issued. If the name or trade name is also used as the brand name on the label, resulting in a change of brand name, you must submit a new application. The change in address is ONLY allowed for in-state moves or other changes to the COLA holder’s address that have already been reflected on the industry member’s basic permit, brewer’s notice, or other qualifying documents.