WineMaker

I am a importer of custom fermenters and winery equipment. I have a customer that wants a 6000 litter Mash cooker. My question is regarding the steam jacket depth. A normal cooling jacket has a depth of 2 to 5 mm. That is the distance were the glycol can flow between the tank wall and jacket. My question is what is the ideal depth to insure efficiency?

Dwight Busalacchi

Mio Vigneto Products

• 4 months later...

The larger you go with mash cookers, the energy to chill the mash can be drastically reduced with the use of an external mash to chilled water exchanger. You couple this with a generously sized chilled water reservoir and chiller (or city water) and you're able to control the mash cool successfully compared to a large glycol chiller and jacket cooling.

If your winters are cold enough (below 30F), another loop with an ambient air/glycol cooler can be used instead of the refrigeration at a fraction of the cost of running the chiller. One distiller saved 10 HP each time he chilled his mash that way from December when he started up until he switched over to refrigeration chiller on 4/15. The utility cost saving 10 HP for the mash cooling and condenser cooling will ensure a short payback on the additional equipment.

Mike Gronski

www.mgthermalconsulting.com