Insulating a tank with a burner

mendodistilling

I'm looking at insulating a tank with rockwool blanket material and wondered if this is the best thing I can get for insulating a tank after the fact of ordering it. Its for a brewery and I'm trying to keep the cold weather from robbing it of precious heat since its in the 20s a lot. I was going to use metal bands and pallet strap it to the tank using a banding tool. So far I've found Roxul, does anyone have any suggestions or feedback for this type of application? I know it could catch fire so I'm looking for burnproof materials that wont have fume risk. So far rockwool seems like all I have found. It will be exposed. Its for a 3 barrel brewery. It can be driven electrically but for now I'm going to direct fire it.

We've gone down the direct fire route, and it's a challenge due to where we are (very restrictive). In my area, the fire inspectors have quite a bit to say about everything, so you might want to explore that first. Anything that looked even remotely jury rigged would be called out. Exposed insulation of any type in direct contact with flame would be a huge no-no.

Bigger question is how you are managing open flame and ventilation? It might be more cost effective to build an insulated firebox or firebrick enclosure for the tank with an integral chimney. This should store some residual heat and provide a higher heating efficiency.

Or just insulate the walls instead.

I am doing both, this is going to have a burner w/ 24 controls to turn it on and off with temperature settings controlled by brewery controller so I can step mash and hold temps firm. This is the problem, or one of them. The rockwool is what they use on cokers in refineries. They are made for over 2000 degrees burn rating. They are stone fibers. I'm using this because I want to be able to keep an easier time battling temp fluctuations. I also was considering taping the drain tube with ceramic tape so it will not have burnt wort from things burning and scorching from direct heat contact in the tube. I have a stout tank 3 Bbl brewery. I wish I had thought about this feature. Its a trouble maker but its a bit late now. I also am considering going electric but ultimately, its nice to have an insulated tank anyhow. especially if it cant burn when exposed.

I am doing both, this is going to have a burner w/ 24v controls to turn it on and off with temperature settings controlled by brewery controller so I can step mash and hold temps firm. This is the problem, or one of them. The rockwool is what they use on cokers in refineries. They are made for over 2000 degrees burn rating. They are stone fibers. I'm using this because I want to be able to keep an easier time battling temp fluctuations. I also was considering taping the drain tube with ceramic tape so it will not have burnt wort from things burning and scorching from direct heat contact in the tube. I have a stout tank 3 Bbl brewery. I wish I had thought about this feature. Its a trouble maker but its a bit late now. I also am considering going electric but ultimately, its nice to have an insulated tank anyhow. especially if it cant burn when exposed.

Hey mendo. There's a product that's like rock wool but its a ceramic blanket. Can handle direct flame contact no problem. Don't quote me but, ok in excess of 3000f. I've been using it for years in glass furnaces and kilns in glass shop. My glory holes are side fired directly into the blanket on the other side and it lasts indefinitely. It's same tech as the tiles on the bottom of the space shuttle. It's not very expensive either, maybe couple hundred for 3' x 50' if I remember right. It's been a couple years since I bought any though. We just call it fiber blanket and its available from any refractory supply place. There's one in Richmond Ca, forget name but I've bought from them a lot . One day I wanna see what your doing up in your hills? Mendo is some of the prettiest country. I'm a start up near Sonora, Yosemite ish area. Working with engineer now for my waste water treatment, hope to be building in a few months and file with the federalys this summer! Anyhow holler if you want more info on that stuff. One thing, though, u wanna cover it with something, don't wanna be bumping into it, breathing it. Scrounge

Yup, stuff is called KaoWool (made from kaolin, which is the base material in porcelain) and you'll pay about $4 sq ft at retail. If you're buying bulk, you might want to get in touch with the manufacturer (Morgan Advanced Materials) and they may sell to you direct.

Just a word of caution, the electric breweries I've used have had relatively thin bottom plates, which tend to buckle when you use direct flame. I'm sure you've checked it out or tested it, but I just wanted to point that out.

Good Luck!