Locks and Security

Jessica Jewell

The TTB is very specific in detailing the requirements for padlocks that are used to secure distilled spirits tanks, but there is not a lot of detail around what the specifications are for door locks. I am looking for an acceptable locking door knob to use on the main entrances to our distilled spirits plant without having to use an additional padlock on the door. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences to share on approved locks?

The TTB is very specific in detailing the requirements for padlocks that are used to secure distilled spirits tanks, but there is not a lot of detail around what the specifications are for door locks. I am looking for an acceptable locking door knob to use on the main entrances to our distilled spirits plant without having to use an additional padlock on the door. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences to share on approved locks?

That's right, they are specific but that same CFR describes what to do if you wish to use locks of an "unusual design". In our case (Free Spirit Distilling of Montana), we made such a submission that was approved and it involved locks that met or exceeded the characteristics described in the CFR but that fit our conditions better. Good luck.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi George,

Can you tell me if you put this particular submission in the part of the application that requests a variance, or just mentioned it in the part about security and locks?

Also, we'd also like a lead on the lock brand/where to buy.

Thanks for the information.

That's right, they are specific but that same CFR describes what to do if you wish to use locks of an "unusual design". In our case (Free Spirit Distilling of Montana), we made such a submission that was approved and it involved locks that met or exceeded the characteristics described in the CFR but that fit our conditions better. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I got my key retaining master locks with custom engraving from http://www.hpionline.com/

I dealt with:

CAMIE LEAVERTON | Sales
1.800.778.2217 | p: 619.444.3147 ext.231 | f: 619.444.5677
camie@hpionline.com

here was my quote(text only, could not add formatting)

Product Number: 6850KALJ
Name Selection List Price
Model 6850 24.33
BumpStop No 0.00
Keying Option Keyed Alike 0.95
Shackle Length 2-1/2 " (64 mm) 2.35
Total Unit Price: $27.63
Quantity: 7
Total List Price: $193.41
Service Options:
Laser Engraving
  • Thumbs up 1