BOD Content in Whiskey Wastewater

Curtis

Anybody come across numbers as to the BOD content of whiskey wastewater? As well as any information on evaporation ponds, aeration, and biological organisms to expedite the breakdown process would be greatly appreciated.

I provided a sample of my stillage to our sanitation district for analysis. They weren't thrilled about the high level of BOD but didn't tell me the exact level. They had asked that I try and discharge it during the evening hours.

This isn't a easy question to answer. It depends a lot on your process, the products you are making, and the amount of clean water you have going down the drain. Some examples of my monthly readings 8,200mg/L, 12,000mg/L, 7,600mg/L, Using the standard testing method 5210B. If you control what you If the farmer will take the added volume do a pre rinse before CIP and add it to the tank. I have some history working with the city and state public works, Water treatment facilitates, and the EPA. Send me an email or give me a call if you have some quick questions.