I'm a little (okay a lot) confused about ADA requirements. To what extent does a distillery have to follow them? From what I read it only applies towards "public" areas. So it seems like a tasting room would be considered public, but the rest of the premise would not. What if I don't plan on having a tasting room, and only giving tours?

My architect is saying that all my building renovation costs (including boiler and piping) will go towards a 20% maximum to be used towards making the space ADA compliant (handicap bathrooms, handicap ramp etc.). Is this correct?

In our jurisdiction, it seems that the Fire Marshall and Building Inspector are the ones enforcing ADA compliance. One question I got was 'is this going to be a public facility?", answer was no...

we will be giving tours, but they will be by appointment and tasting will be across the street in a building that has ADA compliant bathrooms. I don't think we'd be able to do that in our existing building.

Additionally, and I just learned this from going through the process, if you aren't changing the occupancy of the building (ie- F2 to F1), and the building pre-dates ADA, it isn't an issue. When you have to change occupancy is when it gets interesting.

This. I found this out at my meeting with the inspectors last week and I'm waiting for the property owner to get back to me with the specifics.

From what they told me changing occupancy basically means the space needs to be 100% up to new building ADA standards including parking spaces, curb cuts, bathrooms, you name it. Granted, the property manager may be willing to absorb a little of the costs but then I'm also far less likely to negotiate a better price on the lease.

Pretty much all the buildings I've been looking at pre-date ADA. One property even refused to let me come look because it would change the occupancy and they didn't want to have to make the building ADA.

Looks like my best option is to find a property that is close to ADA and just deal with it. Wish it was something I budgeted for originally though.

Pretty much all the buildings I've been looking at pre-date ADA. One property even refused to let me come look because it would change the occupancy and they didn't want to have to make the building ADA.

Looks like my best option is to find a property that is close to ADA and just deal with it. Wish it was something I budgeted for originally though.

I did find out (I'm not sure of all the specifics and I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more) but apparently restrooms need to be updated to current ADA even if the building was built before `90.

I do not believe that you need to make a restroom ADA compliant unless you are changing its structure , layout of the fixtures, or fixtures themselves. For example if you were to replace a vanity, unless you put in the exact same thing, you need to put in an ADA approved vanity, etc...