methanol toxicity. how to measure

methanol has no flavor.

yes a specrum analyser is the only way I'm aware of.

there are very few sugar sources that come with any measurable source of methanol, stone fruit and apples are 2.

even with the amount of methanol these fruits bring, it would be impossible to reach toxic quantities.

in fact European producers have minimum methanol content requirements on their fruit brandies.

it is a myth that most of the methanol will come out in the foreshots or heads cuts, as Methanol forms an Azeotrope with ethanol, and will come out throught the whole run, in direct correlation to the ethanol content of the spirit.

and lastly, what is the cure for methanol Poisoning? Ethanol. so the cure and ailment are all in the same bottle.

If there is no way to remove the methanol from your product where did the age old practice of taking off the heads come from? I'm a third generation shiner and this is the way it has always been done. Anyone that has smelled or tasted the heads first coming over will tell you it's no good, the heads are akin to nail polish remover or paint thinner and if you drink the heads you will go blind.

If there is no way to remove the methanol from your product where did the age old practice of taking off the heads come from? I'm a third generation shiner and this is the way it has always been done. Anyone that has smelled or tasted the heads first coming over will tell you it's no good, the heads are akin to nail polish remover or paint thinner and if you drink the heads you will go blind.

OMG I'M BLIND!!1

Nominated for silliest post of the month. Unless this is an April Fools joke.

ethyl Acetate, is the component you describe. it tastes nasty, and in high enough concentration can cause neurological issues and death. however worst drinking heads will do is give you a severe headache, they are not in high enough concentrations do do major harm.

the practice of cutting heads has become standard, because they taste bad, and including them in your spirit will make it taste bad.

the only way to achieve toxic levels of Methanol, is to add wood alcohol to your mash.