Introducing myself and a question about permits.

hello everyone from Portland Oregon... My name is Curtis Patience and i'm happy to be on board. I've been enjoying the spirits here and look forward to Toast coming up in a couple weeks. I am a master craftsman in metals and some wood. Mainly I work with exotic automobiles but i've been looking into scratching that old itch of distilling and am looking to taking the steps to do so legitimately. My question is about a full blown license or the experimental permit. For the first year at least I plan on working up some recipes that I like, and can duplicate. I will register my still as part of the process but I'm unclear as to which permit to apply for. The bond is the same for both I imagine. I've emailed the TTB but have not heard back in a week or so.

Anyway...nice to be here...and hope to have some fun and share some good times...

curtis patience

www.juicebrakes.com

Hi Curtis,

You are looking at wanting to apply for a Distilled Spirits Plant (DSP) permit from the TTB. There will be several federal and state requirements for this. Some states allow experimental licenses for distillation, however, as far as the feds are concerned distilling alcohol without a DSP is a felony even if it's just for personal use. I would put in a call the Oregon State Liquor Control Board for more information on the subject but most states will also require your DSP before giving you any form of license. Filing for a DSP is a complex and time consuming process, essentially if you want to distill alcohol you have to start your own distillery. I may be wrong on this matter but this is what was represented to me by the TTB when I first contacted them, as well as what was represented to me by the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Also, I have a few attorneys who specialize in liquor laws and starting up distilleries that I can recommend to you, one is even based in portland. Feel free to shoot me a message and I can give you more details on the process and cost of starting up a distillery as well as who you should talk to. Of course you will probably get several more replies on here so make sure listen to them also. This forum is a great resource for people just starting out.

Sam speaks truth. Even if all you want to do is play around, you need to apply for the full blown DSP permit. Either that, or move to New Zealand, where you aren't required to have any of that fluff :-)

hey guys...thanks for the replies...I'm imagining it's a process. It is totally illegal to distill for consumption in this country, they make this very clear in the Regulation. I want to give it go though...time passes...might as well be distilling...

cheers

curtis