Hey from San Diego

Hey All ~

I’m Matthew Rowley. I’m not a distiller by trade, but I have spent the last twenty years researching American folk distilling and the more recent growth of the craft distillery movement. You can see some of my writing at Rowley's Whiskey Forge or my 2007 book Moonshine. I’m looking forward to attending the brandy distilling conference this year, hooking up with old friends, and meeting some of you in person for the first time.

To help get the word out about ADI itself, I am coming to Alameda with a team of drinks writers, all of whom have blogs covering spirits and cocktails. Additionally, all have written for and/or presented at the annual Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans. We’ll be covering not just the conference itself, but also taking time to talk with distillers one-on-one as we work to bring stories about ADI members and their distilleries to a broader audience.

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be working with Jonathan and Bill on the details of our coverage and some of the particular stories we’d like to pursue. In the meanwhile, please feel free to say hello.

~ rowley

Howdy Matt, this is a great idea. I really feel the word has to get out there to the general public about all the fantastic artisanal spirits being made here in North America. I've been trying to do my part as a spirits and cocktail writer, as well as a consultant, etc. the past few years and want to be a part of this project as well.

I'd like to see us writers really make everyone aware of where distilling is going, as well as the rich history of distilling here in North America, both in colonial times, as well as pre and post Prohibition. (Just as a side note: I think it's amazing that there are probably at least 100,000 home distillers in North America. hopefully more will turn to doing it professionally.)

Dave and Jonathan ~

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to rolling in with a great group of spirits and cocktail writers who are just as excited as I am about the changes afoot in artisan distilling. I've been traveling among and following covert distillers for a long time and it's warmed my heart that more of them are working on business plans these days.

As an advocate of well-made liquor and those who make it, I will do what I can, working with distillers, writers, and legislatures to help nudge us to the day when microdistilleries are as well-integrated into American society as craft breweries have become.