cream liquors

lboe

I was reading up on cream liquors and saw noted that in the 70's "someone came up with a way to mix [alcohol and cream], and keep them mixed". I know that if you mix them at home, separation happens in your fridge, but a bottle of Baileys or Amarula remains blended.

I've been doing more research and can't find the "trick". Can anyone here enlighten me - or is it a secret?

A company in Cleveland (Arisdyne Systems) builds equimpent to do this for the salad dressing industry (vinegar and oil no longer separate in your dressing). The process is called hydronymic cavitation. They might be able to point you in the right direction: www.fivestartech.com and www.arisdyne.com

Actually it is patented by Bailey's, so you can look it up at the Patent Office. Just don't try it in your commercial distillery, or the lawyers will get on your tail.

Cheers,

Alan Dikty

I was afraid of that. Then how do others such as Amarula achieve the lack of separation? Did they pony up the $$ for Bailey's process?

A great place to start. Thank you!

Lisa

A company in Cleveland (Arisdyne Systems) builds equimpent to do this for the salad dressing industry (vinegar and oil no longer separate in your dressing). The process is called hydronymic cavitation. They might be able to point you in the right direction: www.fivestartech.com and www.arisdyne.com

High pressure homogenization should accomplish the same thing. At least that is how they keep milk and cream from separating while the milk sits in your fridge. Homogenization also keeps chocolate milk from separating on the shelf. So without knowing for sure an educated guess is homogenization or a process similar.

There are chemical emulsifiers that might do the same thing but I really doubt that they are using chemical emulsifiers. Beast.

I looked into this not too long ago. Here is what I found. I have not contacted any of these yet.

There are many types of homogenizers - inline shear mixers ($5000 - $10,000), microfluidizers ($50,000 - $200,000), high pressure homogenizers ($100,000 - $500,000+).

For commercial applications, the vendors of the equipment will be able to tell you exactly what their equipment can and cannot do for your specific recipe(s).

This link has the theory and how it works: http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/homogenization.html

Shear mixer: http://www.silverson.com/USA/Products/inlinemixers.cfm

Microfluidizer: www.microfluidscorp.com used to work, but it seems to be an inactive link now.

High Pressure Homogenizer: http://www.gowcb.com/products/disperse/homogen.asp

Let us know what you discover.

Todd

• 8 months later...