Everyone's favorite distilling course?

I'm really just interested in whiskey.

I make ~200 gallons of beer each year on the homebrew level, so feel I have a decent handle on mashing and fermentation. That said I can always learn more. I also have some informal training with distilling.

In short I'm not starting from scratch, and would like to know what courses folks have taken and/or recommend? Ideally they're on the western half of the US, but I'm all ears.

I Don't know anyone holding distilling classes out west but you may want to contact Scott Harris at Catoctin Creek Distillery in Purcellville VA. Go on line to his web site. I believe he holds a couple of classes a year. They are terrific people and have been very successful in the five years they've been distilling

In short I'm not starting from scratch, and would like to know what courses folks have taken and/or recommend? Ideally they're on the western half of the US, but I'm all ears.

Our class is in Idaho near the Grand Tetons.

The next class is August 1st - 3rd.

Visit Yellowstone and Jackson Hole Wyoming while you are in the area.

We are only 34 miles from Jackson, which is considered the southern entrance to Yellowstone.

Everyone should do it at least once in their lives.

I can highly recommend SIPS (Spirits Institute Puget Sound, www.sipsclass.org) which is in Seattle.

I attended the last SIPS class (#13) and it was extremely valuable. I came to the class with quite a bit of distilling knowledge and this class helped fill in all the gaps (especially at the commercial/production level). Spending a whole day learning from an ex-TTB agent was by far the most valuable piece of the class for me.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more specifics about my experience with this class.

Patrick

Northwest Rum Company

Downslope in Colorado does a bang-up 2 day class. They're very open kimono - from wash production to distillation to TTB to business plans & marketing, there's nothing they won't answer. They're just starting some hands-on one day advanced classes too. I took one yesterday and did a 100% rye mash and assisted with rum stripping and spirit runs.

http://www.downslopedistilling.com/distillery-school/

• 2 weeks later...

With no disrespect towards anyone in the industry my limited experience (several distilling courses including one at Cornell University) has been that not all courses are created equal. There are some that skim over the actual distillation process in favor of promoting a high-end still manufacturer and their equipment.

In my humble opinion the course that Rusty Figgens gives in Seattle WA covers everything you will need to know to get a fledgling distillery off the ground. I took Rusty's course with a background in homebrewing and alcohol fuel production. My DSP is pending and his coverage of Media, TTB Compliance, equipment, labels, bottles, grain suppliers, cooperage, marketing, networking etc etc. ...has made the difficult journey 100 times easier... and he makes a good product ( & I can't say that for most places I've seen)

I haven't been everywhere of course.. But from what I've seen the course at SIPS is absolutely worth double the money and twice the time. I'm sure there are other wonderful courses out there but my experience with Rusty has been spot on.

Rusty has the formal education plus a lifetime of experience in the wine and distilled spirits industry.. And they make one hell of a lunch.