Seperator of Ferment Prior to Distillation

CountySeat

I have an engineer friend who is working on a design for separating the product of an on the grain fermentation prior to distillation with direct heat. I've seen a couple posts on this topic but couldn't find an ideal thread to add to.

Does anyone have a rough estimate for the density of the particles and the size of the particles that would need to be separated/filtered out? I know that will vary depending on technique but assume a coarse hammermilled grain flour; 2:1 grain to water ratio and standard milled grains, corn, rye, wheat, barley.

TIA.

Particle size is going to range widely, easily 1-2500 micron, upper limit going to be governed by your mill, but no way to eliminate the fines entirely.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/Presentations/Briess_Richard_Ellis_Mashing%20for%20Optimal%20Yield.pdf

Check slide 36:

10% flour, 35% fine grits, 35% coarse grits, 20% husk.

You'll find much more data on sieve analysis in the brewing literature, but it should get you close. Breiss also has another document titled "Practical Milling" with some other information.

From my perspective, it's not the particle size that's the problem, it's the viscosity of the remaining slurry once the "easy liquid" is decanted off.

Dehner has got the most promising low-cost approach using a hydraulic press. I've played around with options down that road and they look the most promising.

I believe adding some beta glucanase when you pitch your yeast will make it slightly easier to strain without clogging up. When I was attempting to press, it seemed that the glucanase batches were easier to press without clogging. At some point I'll play with a vibratory screen, but buying a Russell Finex is probably just a whole lot easier in the long run.

I dreamed up the press concept as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not the genius I think I am. :)

One other concept that I'm thinking of playing with is a sluice. Similar to the traditional tool, but with more (and finer) riffles and a screen at the end to separate fines from the outflow.

At some point I suppose I'll get past the point of tinkering being half the fun....

I was trying to drum up some ideas with a friend who has been in the material handling and controls business for a long time, plus a designer of some items he has patented, but he has been too busy with industrial jobs to consider it.

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are running fermented mash through the process with pretty good results - a thin wort with no solids. Other than the obvious standard of "won't scorch or give off flavors" is there any technical way to classify what level of clarity needs to be reach for direct heating? I.e. - can pass through X microns filter? We're trying to come up with the standard we need to meet in a laboratory setting before building a large prototype.

TIA.