it's what's in the bottle

I read that as well. It's shocking that almost, almost everyone I talk to that's been in the business for a long time seems OK with sourcing other people's whiskey and selling it as their own, since they say that's how most people get started.

Personally, I think it's dishonest at best. Wow, you went to a facility that makes bourbon and hand picked or mixed your own barrels and are now selling them as your own? Whopity do.

If craft whiskey and distilleries lose the massive amounts of momentum and brand recognition they have now, it won't be due to the big guys, it'll be because we brought it on ourselves.

I've known this for some time, and as a consumer it makes me pretty frustrated.

Why?

Because I like rye and 1/2 of the stuff on the shelf at the liquor store all comes from the same barrel. I like to try new brands and I don't know if the $45 bottle of X is the exact same product as a $20 bottle of Y.

I deal with issue everyday, and have to educate the customers one at a time. It's amazing how much smoke and mirrors exist in the liquor business. It's worse than selling cars. But as a true distiller of my products it certainly gives us a level of satisfaction to represent the truth.

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

This is another article with a very cool graphic. We have a print out of this at the tasting room bar. Its been fun to share with the whiskey enthusiasts that come in. Lots of people in our area like Bulleit Bourbon and for many Bulleit Rye is the only rye they have had. Its fun in particular to point out that they are made at two separate facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Templeton Rye video and it looks as if they were LDI but now have their own rye fields and distillery.

Or have I been fooled?