The Department of Health (California) says that we need to file for a Processed Food Registration (PFR) for our (soon to open) distillery. It entails about $500 in fees and an inspection to ensure compliance with production process controls, sanitation procedures and labeling and advertising requirements. It seems a bit gratuitous since we are basically making a sterile product. As far as labeling, I thought that was under the purvey of the TTB. Has anyone else dealt with this? Searching these forums, I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned it.

Thanks,

Earl

I'm also a CA start up. I've gotten the run around on this issue. I called the Dept of Public Health to check on that, because I'm building a new building for my distillery, and there's different plumbing codes for wholesale food facilities. They told me right on the phone that they didn't deal with alcoholic beverage company's, and referred me to the CA ABC, who then told me that they don't give a rip about my plumbing. Now my county has instructed me to register as a wholesale food facility, and had someone from Dept of Public Health call me and tell me I needed to register(same as u said, 500$) I explained that I know of atleast 2 distilleries in CA that are not registered and asked what's up with the run around, they said that people just don't know there supposed to do it. So I don't know, I've been told 2 different things by the DPH ??? Not looking forward to being " inspected" by them, but probably not the end of the world either, thinking of just going with what there department told me originally, that I didn't need to!? Scrounge

• 2 weeks later...

California is definitely full of fun with their learning as they go use permit. I had to get an archeology survey for indian articfacts 3k, pay California energy fee for under 10k sqft as a new hidden bsas fee, which was 1k, over 10k, is actually $10k. The bioreactor fee for engineering and design and submitting the form 200 is topping 20k here real soon. I'm feeling probed in places I don't like big time, from every angle.

This is all to approach the county supervisors in a public meeting for a maybe.

We had to put in a grease trap, despite the lack of grease or other nasty solids. A big one, too...as in, as big as my pickup...

I'm hoping I can hold down the costs of the fire suppression and use a bolt together water tank for both water and fire... I've been told this may not be possible even if way oversized. That is my next major hurdle.

We just had a 6.0 Earthquake last night or so and my apartment building caught fire... I think i want sprinklers, No matter what haha.

• 5 months later...