Pumps

Towerguy

I've seen corn mash as high as 9800 centipoise, and as low as 75...

Think around 1500 for a properly converted mash (which is quite liquid) and a bit less for thick stillage. A 1.5" impeller pump works fine, though I prefer 2". Diaphragm works well, too.

• 2 months later...

So...same question for me - I am in the process of opening a nano-distillery - running mash in 55 gallon stainless steel drums. Is there a good pump that can pump the hot corn mash from the mash tun to the fermenter - and then from the fermenter to the still? I haven't been able to find a suitable pump solution yet.

I was told air is the way to go, I am looking into this now myself. Not exactly sure how this is setup or what equipment I would need though but air eliminates the need for explosion proof pumps and I got the impression that it would be cheaper. Not sure what some of the drawbacks to using air are though.

The problem is what you are pumping, not how much of it.

Positive displacement pumps, double diaphragm, flexible impeller, screw pumps, etc. These will all work, but the cost will be astronomical when compared to the volume you are moving, and they will have flow rates geared more towards 500 gallons, and not 55.

Why not elevate your mash tank and fermenters and bucket brigade your liquids? It's sanitary, it's fast, and it's going to be hard to argue with the price, especially once you add hoses to the mix. I'm not joking, it's going to be hard to beat this. Adding the hot temperature to the mix only makes this a harder problem to solve for, since now you are restricted with what pump materials can handle near 100c.

Otherwise, the most budget-conscious alternative is going to be looking for a double diaphragm pump with the largest solids capacity you can find (look at specs of all the manufacturers). I'll tell you though, in many cases you need to get to 1.5" before you can pass anything reasonable. You could probably get by with a 1" pump, but only if you take your grain down to flour.

This is also less than ideal from a sanitary perspective, since you'll most likely have threaded fittings. Buckets are easier to clean and sanitize than pumps, unless you are planning to CIP your hoses and pumps for 55g. Another option is to find a cheap Walkie/Pallet Stacker, it'll let you lift and move your tanks around, and you can just use gravity to drain. As a benefit, you get a new tool to help you move pallets and grain around too.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise eBay for a good used sanitary centrifugal pump with wash down motor. New these will cost you $3K or more, but I got mine for $600, and parts are replaceable. I swear, this is what you want, even with a small set up, 'cause you can use it for circulating mash, CIP, etc. You can't use the impeller for hot mash. Yes, a sufficiently sized diaphragm will also be great, and if set up for pure ethanol with air drive, you can use it to pump spirit. But these will se you back even more money, and you really don't want to use the same pump for mash as you would use for spirit.

• 1 month later...

Since you want to pump out of barrels why not use a barrel pump? They are quite reasonably priced and some of them can pump very thick product. They are also available with electric or air motors.

I can send you some links if you want.

• 2 years later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 12:24 PM, Irons Distillery said:

I appreciate the comments so far - is there a specific pump - brand/model that can be recommended for the small scale that I mentioned above - basically moving corn mash between 55 gallon stainless drums? Thanks for any inputs - I appreciate it.

If you want something easy and cheap try a submersible "dirty water pump"

https://www.edisons.com.au/1500w-submersible-dirty-water-pump-prd-m5/?___store=default&gclid=CjwKCAjw3f3NBRBPEiwAiiHxGBAChsEZVbvRciGKc9L01ymM4IHOoWTL6clBuBn9UdZvDUpR8OHZExoC8AoQAvD_BwE

I use one to pump very thick mash. Wash and dry ASAP or the bearings won't last long, but they are very cheap and work brilliantly. They will empty a 55 gal drum in less than 10 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...