New anton paar Snap 40 and Snap 50

whiskeytango

I liked our 6 month old $2400 DMA 35 until I dropped it in my lap while calibrating it and it fell 3' to the floor resulting in a broken horseshoe glass. Anton-Paar doesn't do repairs.

How much is it? But more importantly is it any more durable than the DMA 35?

I would say those are not accurate enough for the TTB. That said, does anyone have a list of approved digital hydrometers for TTB tax reporting? I tried calling the TTB lab but never could get anyone to call me back. That Snap 50 might be good for quick measurement and just double checking your manual work with a hydrometer.

Here are the CFRs if you're interested: http://www.ttb.gov/foia/gauging_manual_toc.shtml#27:1.0.1.1.25.3.504.4, specifically:

No instrument shall be in error by more than 0.0005 specific gravity

My back of the napkin calculations show that to be about 0.065% ABV (please double check). So yeah, as jeffw says, they don't appear to be accurate enough.

The DMA 5000M suggested use requires their "alcolyzer" to be used with liqueurs and is the only AP approved for tax reporting. The Mettler-toledo is cheaper but requires a bench still (in place of the AP alcolyzer) to control for solubles, currently waiting on word from RR..

I have no experience with any of these and am currently researching which to purchase as well. Would love to hear feedback from any actual users. MT offers two options the DM 45 and DM 50 both of which are cheaper and accurate enough (1x10^-5). I'd like some reviews on bench stills as well, but thehttp://www.pelletlab.com/distillation_equipment was recommended by a user in another post and thats only a $240...which is about $14,000 cheaper than the alcolyzer.