Jump to content

AIr handler requirement

Recommended Posts

Hi All:

Downslope Distilling has hired an engineer to do the mechanical design for our facility in Colorado. The engineer stamp is required to get a permit (and Certificate of Occupancy) for our operation. Unfortunately the engineer has spun out and I need some help. They claim that according to NFPA 497 we would have a Class 1 Division 2 location because “volatile flammable liquids or flammable gasesare handled, processed or used, but in which the liquids, vapors or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture of such or breakdown of such containers or systems…”

The effect of this is that they are including in their design a $10,000 air handler and expensive electrical design. I cannot get them off this. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Our production area is approx. 2000 square feet and the air handler proscribed is 1500 cfm.

Anyone, Anyone, Anyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have heard of this before.

My suggestion would be to contact other Colorado Distillers (in particular the guild!) to see what they have encountered / or done to solve this issue.

Shoot me a quick e-mail or give me a call if you need names or more info.

All the best,


Kothe Distilling Technologies Inc.

5121 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640



(773) 295 4454

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...