Vodka column ceight issue

rtshfd

Does anyone have any input on the pros and cons of splitting a vodka column in half and doing a side-by-side to make an 18 ft column fit in a 17 ft ceiling?

At this point our only other option is to blow a hole through the roof to accommodate. How has everyone else addressed a problem like this short of finding a new location?

Dig a hole.

I recall the folks over at Koval saying they had one of their big stills in a pit due to height issues. All you need is one foot? Cut the concrete and go down.

Split columns is nice, because they avail some other flexibility a single tall column doesn't, but generally the cost will be higher as the vapor plumbing is more complex, requires more valves to operate, requires dual dephlegmators, etc.

Or, put in a skylight?

You guys are wonderful. It's quite funny that i'm sitting here fretting over the cost of a hole in the ceiling and I never thought about digging down. I've been working with contractors to get our trench drains planned out and didn't put two and two together. Yeah. we only need a foot or so.

Chicago Distilling Company has their still in a hole and it's a brilliant setup as it makes cleanup super easy. I think in my next space I'm going to explore that option.

I think that is a great idea!

it would be super easy just open the drains on the still and drain it or was it down. Just get a false bottom for your pit and go......

The downside of a pit is that if you need more than a foot or so, you are probably going to be under your drain/waste plumbing, or without enough slope, so adding a drain to the bottom of the pit is probably going to be a challenge at 2 or 3 feet. Building code might also require a railing and or a step if it's considered part of a working area. This is hardly ideal, and is making the best of a bad situation. I wouldn't think anyone would want to go out of the way and put their still in a hole on purpose.

Adding any kind of ejector pump to this setup is probably going to be a major hassle, since a sump under a still is for certain going to be classified as Group I Division 1 per NFPA 497 (see Roger's comment above). You might want to think twice about breaking out the shop vac to clean up a little spill in the sump. I mean, the shop vac will probably do a great job, but then you've got that whole 3rd degree burn and fire thing to worry about.

My assumption was you would just sit the whole still in the sump, and not just the column, because pumping reflux is a whole 'nother issue, and doing it in a Group 1 Div 1 makes it even more complex.

My vodka columns in that size are about 18' tall including the column stand. This way they gravity feed the reflux condensate back into the boiler. If you were my customer I would lower the column stand by 2' and the lower column stand would also be a holding tank for the reflux condensate. In the last couple of weeks I have figured out several different ways to pump the condensate back to the boiler that would meet code. email me privately paul@distillery-equipment.com and we will work up a quote for you.

To answer the original question about the pro's/cons of splitting a vodka column into 2 units:

Cons: The system will use more energy if the column is in 2 pieces. Requires a larger footprint and some extra plumbing. So upfront and ongoing costs are higher.

Pros: No costly modifications to the building. No cutting into a perfectly good roof directly over a very expensive piece of equipment. And you won't need such a tall ladder to get to the top.

The only way to know what is cost effective is to get an estimate from your equipment manufacturer and from a contractor. I'd bet the split column will be less expensive and easier to accomplish.