Valuation of Aging Stock?

Working on inventory for end of year with the CPA. Trying to figure out how to value spirits aging. Feedstock cost? plus labor/utilities? Something less than wholesale value? IS there any sort of industry rule of thumb for this?

Sorghumrunner,

PM me if you like as I may be able to offer some assistance in this area. As well, I work with some super CPA's who specialize in wineries and craft distilleries that may be able to lend a hand to you. Let me know if you would like either of our help with this question.

It seems like these forums have taken the jump over the shark, from a great place to share ideas and experience between distillers, to a hunting ground for consultants and salesman. No offense to InsuranceMan, I'm sure that you do have some great info I can purchase. I reckon it's the growth of the industry, and the first to get paid are the consultants. of course, i'm the one fishing for some free knowledge, which perhaps just doesn't come cheap.

Haha don't diss the insurance man. He never charged me for any of the great info he passed my way, or the recommendations for folks who could offer the help he couldn't. He's not a slimy dude, like others who I've encountered in the process of buying equipment and figuring this whole thing out. He is a wealth of knowledge in the area of valuing aging spirits, as well as insurance and bonding. Good guy- no BS

I did not mean to suggest he was a scammer, and I shouldn't speak before I've actually reached out. but i do feel like there is a lot more PM'ing going on the forums nowadays, when it used to be that real info would get posted. any time I see PM me, I assume it means you're about to get signed up for some paid consulting. i think there is a lot of value in paid consulting, but this forum used to be much more about spreading knowledge through the distilling community, and now it seems to be mostly newbies and consultants. rant over.

Sorghumrunner,

I totally get where you are coming from! Trust me! There are a lot of folks on here that are in this to make a quick buck and “screw” whoever they can along the way, make their dough and disappear. Rest assured I am not one of those guys (thanks for the props Scrounge and Shindig!). Sorghumrunner, I would suggest that if you have any questions as to who I am, what I do or my value of everyone here, please go to my profile, look under “posts” and read up on my whitepaper, my “experts group” and our mission statement, or anything else I have done. I have 63 posts out there that are all full of free information.

I am not for everyone, and I am ok with that and I know insurance people for the most part are considered slimball used car salesman schmucks. I can tell you though; I am a pretty chill dude that is here to make a cruddy thing like insurance a more understandable, tangible, almost enjoyable experience. I’m not phising or trolling or flaming or whatever other internet lingo is popular for some idiot trying to get you to send your bank account with the promise of $16,000,000,000 from some African king because you are the “chosen one”. I am just pure and simple here to help in any way I can. Take it or leave it. I am no Bu11$h1t and a straight shooter.

My offer still stands to assist you if you like and the only reason I did not post “free information” on the valuation is due to the fact it is a pretty complex trick of figuring base barrel cost; production cost; maturation period weighed against many other factors that are compiled in an crazy excel spreadsheet that took me about 2 years to develop. I am such a geek for insurance and distilling that I actually wrote the forms for the program I offer, I know that much about it and have even been told by TTB Field agents that I know more about the bonding and limits then they do. So “PM me” if you like, or don’t. It is still a free country man, that is what makes this forum so great!

This is my first post on the forum and I'd just like to say that Aaron is a great resource. I'm the co-owner of Redmont Distilling Company which will hopefully be the first distillery in Birmingham, AL since prohibition (waiting on the DSP.....crossing my fingers every day!). Really stellar and would highly recommend using him.

Big_Sur,

Thank you as well. I honestly cannot thank everyone here enough for welcoming me in and letting me work with you and for you. I have made a great many friends, and hopefully no enemies. If I do, that is OK, but I really do enjoy all of you and think the world of this forum!