Process water- does it need to be treated

pogriallais

Hi guys,

The local environmental health office has taken issue with my plans to use stream water that's running through my property. Their argument is that the consistency of the quality of the water would vary a lot from a microbiological point of view. I thought the process of distillation would eliminate any threats from a microbiological point of view due to the temperatures within the process. The chemical composition of the water was also another concern of theirs albeit a small one. Does distilling reduce the concentration of metals in water for example iron/manganese? Alcohol has antibacterial properties; would this also eliminate any microbiological risks in the finished product? They have suggested that I need potable water for the process but I'm not going to spend significant money treating water if it isn't necessary.

I also have a drilled well on site that isn't being used- I think levels of Iron/ manganese were high when it was first drilled. The stream is better water in terms of its chemical composition but for potable water standards it has exceeds limits for coliforms and ecoli.

Could anyone suggest a reasource I could read on this topic?

Anytime you have water being open to air, you have bacteria growth (see Legionnaire Disease).

If you have an atmospheric system, then bacteria can be pulled into the water. Only pressure systems can totally stop this, but water needs to be treated before filling the system.

Whoever tested your water should have a good feel for local constrictions.