Boiler Brands/sizing

NicAlexander

I am looking for a boiler brand recomendation for a 500 gallon still and mash cooker. What do you like about the systems you have? What would you have done differently if you were purchasing now? Are you using two smaller boilers; one for each, or one boiler big enough to run the still and cooker at the same time? Is this problematic or inefficient if only running the still and not the cooker?

a 500,000 BTU steam boiler should do fine (at least as far as our equipment sizing goes) as long as you run one and not the other, you can run both on that size but you will need to stagger start.

Ideally you will want about 1 million BTU's to run both at the same time.

running 2 smaller boilers to power each piece individually can be done, but is typically more expensive for equipment and installation.

Should consider that your contractor and equipment distributor have a solid relationship and working experience with the equipment and brand you are considering, that's critical for long-term success and support. To some extent, a boiler is a boiler, but the devil is in the details. Once you have a trusted contractor (which is equally, if not more important), I'd give their recommendations some weight as well.

Miura? The Lamborghini of boilers? Nice but the starting point of entry is something like 1.5mbtu, that's a big machine.

Out in these parts, Fulton is very popular, and Hurst somewhat as well.

Where are you, Nic? Depending on where, I can at least get you some contractors names that either I know or past associates of mine know.

Once you get to the cooling side, I'd be more than happy to help you. You can see some sample photos on my website.

Mike Gronski

www.mgthermalconsulting.com

We are located in Kalamazoo Mi. I am also interested in a chiller as well something that I can mount on our flat roof. That at the very least we can use to cool our condenser and maybe the steam coil in our mash cooker that is plumbed for steam and water cooling.

I have spoken to a local company but I want to have a better understanding of what I'm in need of from a distilling centric perspective as there is not anyone local that has any direct distillery experience.

• 4 months later...

Well we still haven't decided on a boiler and we are getting closer to the completion of our still. we are considering buying a 50hp muira (that's the smallest they make) really we need closer to a 40hp, and are considering a "rite" boiler does anyone have experience with the brand? I'm open to any more suggestions. The still is a 500 gallon Vendome.

Also for people running a Columbia and or the more traditional style boilers are you leaving them running 24/7 or are you turning them on and off everyday?

I've worked with two different Muira boilers. They are top of the line. They are awesomely efficient but maintenance is very expensive. If they break, then you are broke. If this is your first boiler I would go with something more basic, forgiving, and cheaper. I like my Burnham.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you under 1mil BTU size, what kind of prices are you getting for installation? I know each and every install is different but I'm starting to plan for future expansion.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

This website has a great selection of low pressure steam boilers in a full range of sizes. BE SURE TO INDICATE LOW PRESSURE (<15psi) WHEN ORDERING:

http://ecomfort.com/gas-fired-steam-boilers-204/

Penny

pennyjiang@zjdayu.com

DYE team

• 5 months later...

We rep Miura boiler and they can be fixed easily, just like any other boiler water treatment is critical, we at Burner Combustion rep many different options, we have worked closely with many breweries, and distilleries, if you need a boiler we are experts in that subject.