4" vs 8" Trench Drains

Is there a major price difference?

I don't have experience with trench drains, but with a lot of required things in life you rarely wish you bought the lesser item instead of the better one.

For instance, in my life I do not recall many instances where I wished I had bought a tool that performs at a lower level. I have however had plenty of regret for not spending just a little bit more.

We have a Zurn system with a 6" epoxy coated cast iron grate. 4" seems positively tiny, and I'd imagine the cost differential once you consider the total cost of plumbing and construction, would probably be minimal. Go bigger. Whatever system you use, ensure the load capacity of the grate and grate system is well above the weight of your fork lift. We had initially thought the forklift and pallet jack wouldn't at all be on the drain, but during build out and setup, the forklift appears to have fallen into a love affair with the drain.

Matt, my experience would say that the larger the better but more importantly the more the better. If possible get them throughout your facility in every area use will be pumping, processing or cleaning. Another note, if you seriously want to put your spent grain down be sure to flush it real well, mash has a way of solidifying like concrete. lastly if you plan to discharge hot liquid/mash use cast iron. Good luck!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Go big or go home! Bigger trench is always better. Just make sure your loaded pallet jack or fork lift won't collapse your grate (kicks self).