Barcode printer & label size

gordon

Who out there is printing their own barcodes? What sized labels are you using and what printer did you get?

What is the smallest barcode being used? What type of paper/materials are these printer on?

OR, does it make more sense to have these outsourced by a professional printing company?

Thanks for any info provided!

• 3 weeks later...

Barcodes are very interesting and I might be able to help. Depending on what the code is being used for will definitely determine whether you want to print them yourself or leave it to a printer.

Barcodes on the actual bottle (primary packaging) will require the highest degree of scrutiny because the retailer that scans the bottle does not want to have to deal with UPC's that won't scan. It impacts there sales and stocking databases and costs them time/money.

Barcodes on cartons for tracking inventory at the Distributor are less of an issue and because they can be larger and tend to be more forgiving.

Give me a call and I may be able to help.

Tom 502.297.3048

Bar codes like UPCA do have a minimum size. I have used a 1.25 X 1.5 label to hit that minimum. You can print on a pretty cheap direct thermal printers, about $100 or so. The good zebras which will do direct or ribbon printing are about $1k, but work really well. I have used those on production lines that did 2000+ pcs per day with automated labeling.

Direct thermal works fine as long as you dont expose the product to heat after labeling. Should not be an issue with spirts, but it was with heat shrunk consumer products so we had to use the ribbon print. The ribbon print also looks a little better as you can do it on a high gloss label.

To creat the labels I like easy label the best. Pretty simple and not too expensive. I used it to create labels approved for shipping via USPS with no problem.

If you dont mind buying by the roll, most label companys will do custom label sizes for you. labels should run $.01 to $.03 each.

+1 Tom

We had our bottle labels professionally printed by Trysk in Seattle, but we printed our own labels for our cartons using a digital copier.