Bringing back and old thread...What to do with all the d*** heads!?

PA_JoeDistiller

I seem to have no problem at about 5% alcohol to fuel oil.  It sounds compelling, but in reality the percentage is too small to be material.  Any more requires additional additives and the ability to blend.

Always wondered if you could use heads as part of biodiesel manufacturing, or if methanol was the only compatible alcohol.  Would be sweet to make waste vegetable oil biodiesel and burn that directly.

• 7 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 1:14 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

Always wondered if you could use heads as part of biodiesel manufacturing, or if methanol was the only compatible alcohol.  Would be sweet to make waste vegetable oil biodiesel and burn that directly.

Methanol or ethanol can be used to make biodiesel. The problem with heads is the water which causes soap formation in the biodiesel.

I used to run my still on biodiesel, still do occasionally, but a much easier option is with a siphon nozzle burner that uses the waste veg oil (or sump oil) directly without the effort of converting to BD. I burn my heads under the still through a second nozzle.