Planning

twoforks

Hi,

I have been in the business planning phase of a micro-distillery start-up on the East Coast; but I think I have reached a no go decision. I am going to go at it another couple of angles before declaring total no-go.

My plan was to forgo initial capital of fermentation equipment and work with local microbreweries to create washes for me. The ball park estimates per gallon that I have been given shot my plan apart.

Are there any other distillers out their that are trying to synergize with micro-breweries, and if so would you be willing to share ballpark wash prices you are paying?

Additionally, I was trying to go the local route and purchase ingredients that can be obtained reagionally if not locally, but these kinds of suppliers are hard to find. Any suggestions for lists of grain malters? I really do not want to malt my own, but I suppose it is an option.

Additionaly, there appears to be scare reasearch on interactions with alcohol aging in wood. Does anyone know of any solid/accessible reasearch? Also, I know the practice is to toss out a portion of the foreshots, but if the foreshots are the most volatile, wouldn't the angels share take them first and therefore it not be important to toss out?

Sorry for the rambling, and thanks for any advice,

Peace.

I don't have answers to your question about sourcing from a micro-brewer...I'm too far from anyone to make it work and will do all mashing and fermentation in house.

I really wanted to write to say "Don't give up". When I first researched this industry and went to my first ADI Conference, I thought these guys were crazy with a 2-year plan from conception to finished product. In my current business, that's ages. We design and build much, much larger projects during less time. I knew I could do it faster.

It turns out, it's a long process and requires extensive effort. I've read the regs, every book I can get, been to MSU, been to Dry Fly, going to the TTB Conf (next week), etc. We had some problems when a land deal fell apart and we've spent quite a bit of time designing the building...and getting it quoted from different folks. I think I will break ground and order my equipment next month, 16 months after I started this idea. Interesingly, it will be almost 2 years when I get up and running (assuming no other hidden delays).

Anyway, keep at it. There is a solution out there that will work for you.

Kris Berglund's got some stuff on barrel aging either in his book or elsewhere....have you read his online book? You can also buy the "Whiskey" production book and there's another article floating around that I've read.

Then again, If you are in my market area, WV/VA/NC/PA....maybe you should reconsider and really should give up. :lol:

I appreciate the kind words and optimism!

I did run across the books you have referenced; seems like there is still a bit of mystery around the wood aging process, although it contributes a lot of the flavors!

Best of luck to you.

Peace.

P.S. Tom, I would be in some of the same market as you

I've been working on this for over two years, full-time for a year now. Bottom line, it can be done if you want to make it happen. Now, that being said, you may have to make some severe sacrifices as far as equipment that'll require more labor and/or starting as a micro micro distillery. I'm not sure what your situation is or what you want your focus to be as far as type of spirit, but you can probably mash your own stuff and it'll be economical. You're probably attempting to start too big if you can't make the numbers work (just my humble opinion). Call me if you have any specific questions, lord knows I've called a whole host of folks on this forum and blown past many roadblocks because of that.

Paul

(931) 302-5245

First, don't give up just because a few people try to gouge you. Trust me, there are other fish.

Also, I know the practice is to toss out a portion of the foreshots, but if the foreshots are the most volatile, wouldn't the angels share take them first and therefore it not be important to toss out?

The angels might take some, but do you know what else they'll leave behind in that barrel? Some compounds can actually increase with the oxidation during barrel aging.

Besides, they taste and smell bad, so why would you want it in your spirits? Don't be greedy with your cuts! You want a product you can be proud of.

First, don't give up just because a few people try to gouge you. Trust me, there are other fish.

The angels might take some, but do you know what else they'll leave behind in that barrel? Some compounds can actually increase with the oxidation during barrel aging.

Besides, they taste and smell bad, so why would you want it in your spirits? Don't be greedy with your cuts! You want a product you can be proud of.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

Peace.