DYE China?

Shindig

33 minutes ago, Southernhighlander said:

DYE is an Alibaba manufacturer.

Uhhh, no more than Proctor and Gamble is an Amazon manufacturer.

Both use the respective marketplaces but one does not own the other...

• Thumbs up 1

3d0g

Absolutely, and  you may find Procter and Gamble on Alibaba as well, since Alibaba is a market place for companies from all over the world.  I was only letting Indyspirits know that DYE is on Alibaba as well as all of those "million other manufacturers", or at least they were a few months ago.  Mr Sun has been trying to sell me his stuff for years and from what he told me, his company manufacturers everything in house.  

On 5/29/2017 at 10:29 AM, Southernhighlander said:

I'm with CaptnKB and SchieferP1, that looks like welding chemicals, left over from fabrication.  In this business, all new vessels must be cleaned by the end user, to remove any welding residue and oils etc.  Depending on the purpose and other factors, many stainless vessels must also be passivized before use and all will need to be passivized several times before their useful life span has ended.  Stills are typically put through at least one cleaning run, before the production of spirits for sale.  Common sense tells us that all vessels used for sanitary food grade applications must be cleaned thoroughly before use.  

At the same time, the manufacturer should supply instructions concerning the cleaning of the equipment, as well as a good safety manual.  Also the manufacturer should answer questions and inquiries concerning the equipment in a timely manner.  Surely there must be a warranty, though no one's warranty is going to cover the equipment needing cleaning when you receive it.  Please let us know exactly what the problem is.   We are all very curious.  

Ditto

4 hours ago, Southernhighlander said:

3d0g

Absolutely, and  you may find Procter and Gamble on Alibaba as well, since Alibaba is a market place for companies from all over the world.  I was only letting Indyspirits know that DYE is on Alibaba as well as all of those "million other manufacturers", or at least they were a few months ago.  Mr Sun has been trying to sell me his stuff for years and from what he told me, his company manufacturers everything in house.  

My point was that I dont believe DYEs core business is 26 gallon milk can stills. 

13 hours ago, Southernhighlander said:

26 gallon milk can stills are not my core business either, but I sell a lot of them, however I understand where you're coming from.

They hold a soft spot in my heart as that was how I started but after you've burned a batch or two of corn you quickly look for other options!

2 hours ago, indyspirits said:

They hold a soft spot in my heart as that was how I started but after you've burned a batch or two of corn you quickly look for other options!

What were you using as a heat source?

Single walled direct fired still pot boilers do not work well for Corn mashes, but they work great for Barley and other liquid washes.  Most of the 26 gallon units that I have sold went to home distillers.  We sell well over 1000 stills per year to home distillers.  Its not a huge part of our business, but it does help.  Of course we also sell large stills and we have several stills out there in the 800 and 1000 gallon sizes.  We have equipment in around 215 distilleries in the US with much of that equipment being over 300 gallon capacity.

A Vendome will cost you at least 5 times as much or more than our stills and an Artisan will cost at least twice as much but our stills are built just as heavy and will produce just as good and they will last as long or longer than the Vendome or Artisan still.  Several of our customers have produced award winning spirits that beat the spirits produced in those much more expensive stills.  Also our Bain Marie stills come with our American made heating systems, which we guarantee to pass inspection anywhere in the US or Canada.  Most of the other equipment manufacturer, that build Bain Marie stills, such as Artisan and Still Dragon do not offer US made electric heating systems, or they offer no heating systems at all with their stills.  DYE's electrical heating systems are not UL and they may not pass inspection in the US or Canada.  Also, DYE cannot offer the kind of customer service that we can offer, because they are in China.  The proof is in the equipment.  We have a huge reference list that we give out with every quote.  We have equipment in distilleries all over the US, that you can visit.  We are a one stop shop for most of your distillery equipment needs.  We sell low pressure steam boilers, stills of all types, mash cookers, mash pumps, explosion proof ethanol pumps of several types, grain Mills, fermenters, receiving tanks, blending tanks and almost every Sanitary part that is made, and because of our low overhead, we can beat the prices of pretty much all of our competitors.  Also, if anyone is interested I own another business that sells, Butane, Ethanol and CO2 extractors for the Cannabis industry.  That business is growing at an incredible rate.  paul@distillery-equipment.com  417-778-6100

3 hours ago, SchieferP1 said:

What were you using as a heat source?

Initially a 5500 watt ULWD -- this was for rums & malt whiskey. When we initially tried conducting a cereal mash w/ corn we used a burner and a serious rube goldberg agitator. The agitator didn't work too badly really (think of a dewalt gear reduction drill with a series of clamps and 2x4s to hold it in place and turned on).  We did experience scortching during the strip. The gauge of the metal simply isn't thick enough.  Our next step was to have a thick plate of steel cut for us  to temper hot-spots but we took delivery of our jacketed still before it came to that.

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2015 at 0:05 AM, jerrysun2014 said:

I went to DYE factory at the end of last year with my clients. Here are some points which I find out.

1. They use thick copper materials which make sure that copper will not be out of shape when and after welding, since copper is more softer than ss304.
  2. I do really like the design of their bubble caps, all are copper and even the screws, the bubble caps are very easy to take off from the bubble cap plates, easy to clean, and no dead corners.
  3. The down comers are also not welded to the plates, again no dead corners.
  4. BEAUTIFUL VALVES, all valves used on the stills are stainless steel handles, looks really high quality and beautiful.
  5. They have their own thinking about the equipment, they told me when I was in their factory why they suggest to use ss flange since the spirits will not contact it, what they want to do is to make sure that the liquid and vapor contact copper as much as possible with a reasonable price. They do think for the customers!
  6. What I’m thinking about the kettles under the columns is that they will recycle the cooling water from the dephs and condenser to do cleaning; you see there is a CIP manifold connected to the all parts. And it can save space.

If you purchased from them - are you happy 2 years later?  If not, who did you end up purchasing from?

3 hours ago, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

If you purchased from them - are you happy 2 years later?  If not, who did you end up purchasing from?

Hi Alaskan Spirits LLC,

Thanks for your message. We have a lot of customers who bought our equipment before the year of 2015, and all equipment is running very well, and some distilleries even win a lot of medals for the spirits they make by using our equipment. If you do not mind, may I have your email address so that I can send you the distilleries contact information who bought the stills from our company. Or you can send email to daey009@dayuwz.com. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have an interesting experience with Chinese manufactured stainless equipment and probably a much more unique and extensive history with large suppliers in China..... Anyways because of these reasons China was my first place to look for still manufacturing, and was something I quickly abandoned......

Anyways your main issue isn't going to be quality of raw materials for construction, but rather quality control of plant equipment was manufactured in....

Case in point, if your supplier makes anything other than distillery equipment in their plant (which they for sure do) your still will likely be welded in between two other things, lets say an "iron" table (patio furniture) and component pieces for a pre fabbed playground that need to be assembled on site....

So although you may have tight welds on your still, and great craftsmanship in design, we are talking about fucking china, the wild wild east. They will be grinding and welding and cutting the other equipment without curtain/barrier right next to your still.... So despite craftsmanship and quality in initial raw materials, you have iron and low grade steel from the patio furniture embedded into your stainless as well as aluminum and more low grade steel peppering the other side of your vessel from the slides and monkey bars being fabricated in the other station......

..... All this will be polished over and shipped out only to pop out as rust spots in your stainless a few years later.....

I have seen this in several pieces of Chinese manu'd brew kettles, fermenters, and one still. I have seen even more of these on cheap dairy equipment purchased by many of my suppliers and neighbors.......

I'm not saying China cannot fulfill your needs and provide great products, I'm just saying there are different standards of practice and manufacturing there and you need to do more homework on what and how things are being manufactured over seas......

I ended up deciding to use DYE.  I spoke to several people (all who have had their equipment over 3 years) and they have loved it - some have already ordered more.  I will keep everyone posted on my experience.  DYE seems to ONLY do brewery and distilling equipment so hopefully I will not have the issues that you mentioned above.  For anyone else wondering - my rep is Melissa and she is truly amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/9/6 at 4:43 AM, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

I ended up deciding to use DYE.  I spoke to several people (all who have had their equipment over 3 years) and they have loved it - some have already ordered more.  I will keep everyone posted on my experience.  DYE seems to ONLY do brewery and distilling equipment so hopefully I will not have the issues that you mentioned above.  For anyone else wondering - my rep is Melissa and she is truly amazing.

Thank you so much to choose DYE (we should be able to recieve your 30% deposit for start at production on next Monday ).

And thank for for your affimation and prasie my personal work, this is i should do . From now on, I would like to become your inspector and all-the-way tracking and monitoring your Still and other tanks production in our factory, and arrange shippment after finished.

For anybody interested to set up a distillery in future , please send me( Melissa) an email to daey003@dayuwz.com  ,I will continue to do well.

Melissa (Sales Manager)

DYE Still

On 9/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

What kind of setup did you order?

I ordered a 250 gal still with a 16 plate column, 250 gal mash tun, 4 250 gallon fermentors, 3 storage tanks, 2 mixing tanks, alcohol transfer pump, and another pump because I am using potatoes. I contacted over 5 chinese manufacturers and Melissa was on top of call backs/emails and proved herself to be reliable.  I also called 3 references from other distillers and they all made me feel comfortable using them.  Ill let you know once I receive my equipment how it has gone!

Alaskan Spirits.

My stills are American designed, American engineered, manufactured in the USA with American and Chinese components and the quality control is done in the USA, and each piece of equipment is tested in the USA, and I personally do a 30 point inspection on each still before it leaves here.  If a problem occurs we can send someone out to fix it, if need be.   Our warranty is backed by my company here in the USA.  So, please don't compare apples to kumquats:)

• 4 weeks later...

I am a professional distillery consultant who represents Dye in Europe but also operate in the US too. I am happy to recommend their products. After extensive investigation and consultation with the company and their chief engineer, all my queries were answered satisfactorily and I am happy that their products represent high quality and good value. My reputation is critical and I am happy to state this. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries. https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-evans-1b2b8a58/

1 hour ago, Lotusland49p said:

Good luck with your dealings, I would buy from 096 Stills if your in Canada or Affordable if your in the US - as DYE will make promises - but never live up to them,  you may get lucky as their image is tarnished and they may try to redeem themselves with your build, then go back to making promises that they will fail to deliver on. What they do is if another order comes in that is larger you get bumped. but they will keep collecting customers money and you may or may not get your equipment in the time that you want. it has been proven they have directly stolen from reputable factories in China.  as well there sales staff have no idea how Distillery equipment works. they will say they are in the Hospital or any other excuse that comes to mind - they will say anything to get your money then it is all a crap shoot after that.

Man Lotusland49p Its almost like your a rep for 096 stills.  You sure do love them.   

As far as Dye they have been great to deal with. Answered all questions and do have a very firm grasp on distilling principals with the ability to answer all questions.  

And you constant crying about if they get a larger order they do that first.  Well if you ever sell anything and you have the choice between filling a 26 gallon milk tank order or a 450 gallon still what would you do first?  

If anyone wants to know about their facility feel free to PM me as i have been to visit it.  

14 hours ago, Lotusland49p said:

I would buy from 096 Stills if your in Canada or Affordable if your in the US - as DYE will make promises - but never live up to them

096 Stills says on their website:  "I personally design our Equipment -  All  Copper Columns, Pot Stills and 304 SS  Boilers - manufactured to the Highest Standards,  304 SS no flimsy thin Boilers"

But then they show images of stills from Wenzhou Oban Light Industrial Machinery Co., Ltd.:
http://www.karimunjawaadventure.com/item-detail/customized-industrial-alcohol-distillation-equipment-distilling-unit.html

Seems like just another person middle-manning Chinese built stills.

Whiskeytango said

"Well if you ever sell anything and you have the choice between filling a 26 gallon milk tank order or a 450 gallon still what would you do first?"  

I would do the 26 gallon first, but that is not a good comparison.  A better comparison is, if we get an order for a 100 gallon pro series pot still and a separate order for 800 gallon Ultra Pro Vodka still, with a complete set of support equipment, then we will complete the orders in the sequence that we received them.  That is the only just and moral way to do it.  To do it the way that you suggest, is really, really shitty and I don't blame Lotusland for being angry.  He has every right to be angry.  Of course, if we have 1 still in stock and not the other, that changes things, but we explain that to our customers.