Business Failures?

redhand

In my planning process, I've talked to a lot of distillers who are having fun and making a good living from their efforts. But I haven't heard any stories about people who made a go and came up short. Just wondering if anyone is willing to share, in general terms, stories of distilling ventures that just didn't work. Why didn't things come together? Was it a poor product? Poor marketing and sales? Distribution problems? Legal issues? There is as much to learn from those who have found success as there is from those who tried and failed.

• 4 months later...

In your planning process, you are doing a good job. You have talked to a lot of distillers who are having fun and making a good living from their efforts. There are several reason for failing in a business. It may be poor product? Poor marketing and sales? Distribution problems? Legal issues? You going in the right direction. Go ahead and start it with positive energy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first attempt at a distillery went bust because of a poor choice of partners. I am assuming that my main partner had some major issues of some type, but didn't have the guts to talk to me about them. He kept dragging his feet on the construction until I ended up using all my capital on living expenses, plus going into debt another $50k. A months worth of work in construction had only progressed three weeks worth in 21 months. Two months ago I packed up my equipment into storage, and I still have no clue why he acted how he did. It's a shame, because prototypes got amazing reviews by the top spirits experts in the world. Now I have several groups wanting me to be their head distiller, but I am now very leery how I will go about this.