Cleaning of copper coloumns

coop

Has any one ever used a Fluoride Salt solution to clean their stills. We have a CIP system and are using Sodium Hydroxide right now and am not sure what the difference is between the two. The fluoride salt solution is used to deep clean concrete. Thanks, Coop

Hi

We also use a caustic soda, rinse, then a citric acid solution to reactivate the copper. Working well for us.

Hi

We also use a caustic soda, rinse, then a citric acid solution to reactivate the copper. Working well for us.

That is what we are doing but i just happen to have 10 gallons of the fluoride salts in liquid form and was thinking about using it up. Do not want to just waste it. Coop

Hi

Are you rinsing after the citric solution?

Don't get that fluoride crap anywhere near your still. Depending on the specific ingredients, it could literally etch your copper. You also don't know if it rinses well. Who knows what would wind up in the product path.

Caustic (potassium or sodium hydroxide, or variant thereof), rinse. Acid (citric or phosphoric), rinse. That's all you'll ever need for the interior of your still and condenser. IMHO.

If you don't rinse, Rum (the poster), all the things that you acid rinsed off the still will simply dry itself right back on to the still surfaces, making the acid washing a bit pointless.

Diversey Lever, Loeffler, or Five Star Chemicals will take you right through the best ways to CIP your equipment and plant.

Five Star is better suited for small plants, IMHO.

If you don't rinse, Rum (the poster), all the things that you acid rinsed off the still will simply dry itself right back on to the still surfaces, making the acid washing a bit pointless.

I always rinse after the citric. I haven't been rinsing between the caustic and the citric. I was surprised at the statement above that mentioned rinsing between the caustic and the citrus but not after the citrus. Just making sure I'm not missing something basic! :)

Ah, got it.

Mixing caustic (a base) and acid is very dangerous. Heat is generated that can be explosive. Plus, one chemical can nullify the cleaning action of the other if you mix them together, depending on the makeup of the products you're using. Rinse the caustic first, then use the acid.

I should also add that if you have a complex still...lotsa plates or piping, you should be sure to vent all the CO2 if

you're distilling wash. And particularly if you have a gassy wash. CO2 will react with caustic, and can pull a vacuum. There's not as much

CO2 as there is in closed fermenter, but it's still wise to keep an eye on CO2 level before adding caustic. Usually a good fresh water rinse with open vents before adding the caustic will do the trick.

But really, call the people at Five Star Chemicals. They know a heck of a lot more about cleaning regimes than I do. A quick phone

call can save you time, $, and keep you safe. No, I'm not a shill for them.

Hope this helps.

I have been using the sodium hydroxide flush followed by a citric acid flush with pretty good results, but I do have few questions:

What percent solutions are you using for cleaning?

Also, how long do you flush the solution through the still?

And, how long do you use your wash before replacing it?

Thanks.

All those questions really depend on the exact brand of chemicals you're using. They all have different amounts/types of additives (sequestrants, surfactants, etc.), so you really need to go with what the manufacturer recommends.

~2% is pretty standard for caustic and acid, but again, check with your chemical company. They'll also help you with proper rinse regimes that'll get all the chemicals out, without wasting water.

And personally, I never use water hotter than 120 F (~50 C) for CIP. Hotter water isn't really necessary, and it's safer to use water that won't burn skin in an accident... and cooler water is always better for metals when using chemical cleaners. And make sure any hoses you use are banded.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Plus, one chemical can nullify the cleaning action of the other if you mix them together, depending on the makeup of the products you're using. Rinse the caustic first, then use the acid.

Denver Distiller stated the reason for rinsing well. The acid wash, e.g. citric acid, would at least be partially neutralized by the residual base. I am sure the cost of water for rinsing is far less than the cost of wasted chemicals.

Also, how long do you flush the solution through the still?

I was told by the folks at Bavarian to wash for 30 minutes with each solution. From experience, it works for me. CFry

• 3 weeks later...