Class/Type for FONL for a "Moonshine"

As long as it touches the inside of a barrel you can call it whiskey.

But for the love of all that is holy please don't call it moonshine. Unless you distilled it in the woods, nothing but the light of the moon to guide you as you illegally distill spirits to avoid the heavy hand of the government and tax man, then don't call it moonshine.

But that's just my personal pet peeve, I'd say touch it to a barrel, market it as whiskey, and introduce your patrons to un-aged spirits, while using it as an example to show the difference that barrel ageing does. At least that's what we do.

Doesn't the TTB say to use the term WHISKEY it must have been in a NEW barrel?

Bottle your "whiskey" after 2 minutes and that seems to be OK, but your barrel is no longer NEW so you can't use it again for whiskey production.

I am glad I am an Australian distiller, as well as being able to use pre-loved barrels of almost any type, we don't need approval for a new product.

I recently decided to make a coffee liqueur, worked out my recipe one day then mixed up and bottled the next. Ran off some new labels with my desktop printer and the bottles were ready for customers. :)

But it is not all good, we pay about $25 excise tax per 750 mL bottle 40%. By the time it gets to the consumer the excise has pushed the price up by more than $50 :angry:

TTB's definition of Corn Whiskey:

Whisky produced at not
exceeding 80% alcohol by volume
(160 proof) from a fermented
mash of not less than 80 percent
corn and if stored in oak
containers stored at not more
than 62.5% alcohol by volume
(125 proof) in used or uncharred
new oak containers and not
subjected in any manner to
treatment with charred wood.

Doesn't the TTB say to use the term WHISKEY it must have been in a NEW barrel?

Bottle your "whiskey" after 2 minutes and that seems to be OK, but your barrel is no longer NEW so you can't use it again for whiskey production.

I am glad I am an Australian distiller, as well as being able to use pre-loved barrels of almost any type, we don't need approval for a new product.

I recently decided to make a coffee liqueur, worked out my recipe one day then mixed up and bottled the next. Ran off some new labels with my desktop printer and the bottles were ready for customers. :)

But it is not all good, we pay about $25 excise tax per 750 mL bottle 40%. By the time it gets to the consumer the excise has pushed the price up by more than $50 :angry:

That designation is only for Bourbon Whiskey, a spirit just labeled as whiskey has to be stored in an oak container prior to bottling, as well as the proof requirements spelled out by 3d0g