Pumpkin Whiskey & Sea salt Barrels

What is the point of keeping the salt in the barrel? Anyone could just add salt to a batch.

I guess I don't under stand. Please explain.

If there is salt in the barrel, then you would need to get a formula on your product your adding in there because you will alter the flavor and alcohol structure, no salt in bourbon or rum, or gin, ect.....

What did you use them for? Did you use them with salt in them? How many do you have?

Our patent pending and TTB approved Fiber Infusion Technology allows you to customize the flavor profiles in a barrel, while simultaneously assuring quality and stability. Infusion occurs at the cellular level, allowing for a natural release of flavor as the fluid interacts with the wood, much like the natural aging that occurs between the oak and spirit. We can process any solid barrel, but the majority of barrels we do are 2nd use barrels, where the customers want less of a focus on oak, and more of a focus on the infused profile.

The Sea Salt barrels were done for a hard cider produce, who spec'd sea salt barrels, and we happened to have a few left over.

Other infusions that we commonly do are Whiskey, Gin, and Rum, various wines, and other exotics such as cinnamon whiskey, limoncello, ect. We mostly work with breweries, meaderies, and cider makers who are continuously looking to explore new ideas and push the limits of barrel aging.

F.I.T. Oak Alternatives are also available.

We work mostly with breweries because, when used for malt beverages, FIT barrel aging is a process that does not require the filing of a formula. This is per TTB regulations, due to our TTB approved formulas and processing.

I just figured I'd let some of you guys know of the different options we had, and the avenues that are available. No snake oil here, but I completely understand your skepticism. Though we've infused over 1,000 barrels and counting, It's something new and has only been around for a few years.

If anyone would like more info, or has any specific questions, you're welcome to email me direct at Matt@RiverDrive.co

If you show me documentation from the TTB stating that using your barrels to age spirit doesn't require a formula and that I can still call it whiskey I'll buy one. If I add anything to a spirit after it comes off the still I need a formula and that includes salt crystals or pumpkin fuzz or dried eye of newt.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by ebstauffer

I agree that sea water infused barrels sound kind of weird. But with that said, I think describing them in a formula would be easy enough.

As to the merits of the flavor, or lack thereof, I have to note that some Scotch variants are often described favorably as having a "salty" flavor.

>> I have to note that some Scotch variants are often described favorably as having a "salty" flavor.

I believe the descriptor is more often "iodine" than salt and primarily in Islay sprits. I think it's marketing BS. "Aged by the sea" and all that. Much (most?) is actually aged in warehouses in Edinburgh.